Yes, I Suffer From TDS

TDSTrump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) is a mental condition in which a person has been driven effectively insane due to their dislike of Donald Trump, to the point at which they will abandon all logic and reason.

I admit it. I suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome. But it’s not because I’ve abandoned all logic and reason. It’s because I’m still clinging to logic and reason.

You see, I think any rational, thinking person should, as I do, believe that Donald Trump is a threat to our American democracy. I see disturbing connections between how fascism and authoritarianism took hold in other countries and what is occurring in the United States at present. And it scares the shit out of me.

And apparently I’m not alone. The American Psychological Association noted in a recent survey that 57% respondents said “the current political climate” was a top source of angst in their lives. More people were stressed out by politics than about their family responsibilities (49%) or their health situation (also 49%).

Many people, myself included, are feeling more depressed because of the state of the world. We have a sense of hopelessness, futility, and fear about the future. And it’s not that we’re insane, that we’ve lost touch with reality, or that we’ve lost the ability to think clearly.

It’s because we see what’s happening before our very eyes and there seems to be nothing to be done to stop it. Trump now owns the Republican Party and virtually all Republican members of Congress, especially congressional leaders like Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan.

Trump has stacked his administration, as well as the judiciary, with sycophants who unabashedly defend him and all of his abhorrent tweets and actions. The man is dividing this country like never before since the Civil War and he’s putting the delicate threads of the American democracy through the shredder.

Yes, Trump drives me crazy. But it is not me who is insane. It’s Trump himself and those who throw themselves at his feet who have lost touch with reality.

In my humble opinion.

34 thoughts on “Yes, I Suffer From TDS

1. Marilyn Armstrong August 11, 2018 / 3:20 pm

But you know, I worry more for the kids. If this doesn’t stop, it will be an ugly world for them.

• Léa August 12, 2018 / 2:12 am

For as long as it lasts. The planet may go on but humans have worn out their welcome unless they seriously turn things around. The air is increasingly toxic as is the water. The glaciers are melting. Plastic is everywhere and Cheeto Head declared war, not only on America, but on the entire planet. Come here, to Europe, and try to explain to my neighbors what the plan is?

2. Paula Light August 11, 2018 / 7:03 pm

I would have TDS if I paid for cable TV, but thank god I’m too cheap and only read the news on my phone. I don’t see his hideous face on my TV or hear anyone talking about him on my “big screen.” It’s nice to have that break.

What’s funny is that the MAGATs are still chanting “lock her up” re Hillary… and they say we’re deranged? 😂

• Léa August 12, 2018 / 2:20 am

Hillary chanting is merely the children in the school yard equivilant of pointing the finger and “I didn’t do it.” What you have is a Country run by a cabal of the sickest variety who have NO conscience. What do you expect? Do you actually believe there will be an election without tampering? That all this will magically be better? That the investigations will not be swept under the rug as Cheeto Head pardons himself and his ilk.

• Fandango August 12, 2018 / 6:39 am

No, I don’t naively expect any of that, and that is what keeps me up at night. That is why I have TDS.

• Léa August 12, 2018 / 7:13 am

I realize you do not. However, there are too many out there who do and some of them make their way to your blog.

• Fandango August 12, 2018 / 7:55 am

My blog is a “safe space” where anyone can say whatever is on their minds, as long as they’re respectful.

• Léa August 12, 2018 / 8:19 am

As it should be.And I hope that by reading your posts and other such blogs, they will see beyond what they are being told.

• Fandango August 12, 2018 / 10:44 am

Let’s hope so.

3. katemccseattle August 11, 2018 / 7:23 pm

I have more and more felt that TDS should be used to describe the people who follow him no matter how loony he gets, rather than those who see behind the mask. Some of those folks just a couple of years ago wouldn’t dream of putting up with the crap we’re being served. They are feeling the high of perceived power…I wonder how long until they realize they are in fact more powerless than ever before.

• Fandango August 11, 2018 / 9:54 pm

I agree that it is actually the Trump supporters who are lacking logic and reason.

4. baddadcartoons101 August 11, 2018 / 7:36 pm

Just accept we are going to have 2-6 more years of DT but not a minute longer. And as an optimist I think it will be 2 years- not 6!

• Fandango August 11, 2018 / 9:55 pm

I hope it’s no more than two. Less than two would be even better.

5. pgraysurvival August 11, 2018 / 11:10 pm

I worked out a fix!

A lot of my followers were Trump fans (whoops), I meant lemmings, and very vocal about any criticism of their God.

So I did a string of posts about what the idiot was doing and how dangerous to the world it was.
    Each time ramping up the angst!

The comments (including one death threat) were priceless
    I didn’t even bother to approve them just deleted them after having a good laugh..

Thus, at last, what’s left of my readers appear to be clinically sane.
    There again they do read my scribbles!

6. Léa August 12, 2018 / 6:25 am

“The world as we have created it is a product of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” – Albert Einstein

What I hear and what I see online is simply the old school thinking that created the mess.

• Fandango August 12, 2018 / 6:52 am

Another great quote that I may “borrow” for one of my posts.

• Léa August 12, 2018 / 7:14 am

I have no doubt that you shall use it well and perhaps why it found its way there?

7. James August 12, 2018 / 7:02 am

I’m going to dip my toe in a pool where I know I’m probably not wanted, but, as I’ve said before, we can choose our state of minds and whether or not we allow Donald Trump, or anyone else, to control our thoughts and feelings. No matter how powerful you believe the current President is, he can’t take away your free will unless you let him.

• Fandango August 12, 2018 / 7:48 am

James, your toes are welcome in my pool at any time. I’m not concerned about losing my free will. I am concerned about losing my (and other Americans’) freedoms, like freedom of religion, a free press, free speech, freedom to assemble and protest, freedom to breath clean air and drink clean water. And, free and fair (i.e., not tampered with) elections. And I genuinely believe that Trump and his rabid supporters will NOT, regardless of what happens in November or in the Mueller probe, give up power easily — possibly even not without a fight.

8. Laura August 12, 2018 / 11:03 am

Yes, the current political climate is definitely contributing to my stress level. I work hard to maintain equilibrium with my emotions but it’s getting harder and harder to do.

We visited the Holocaust Museum in DC a few weeks ago. That’s always a hard one to walk through, but this time the whole floor addressing Hitler’s actions in Germany leading up to establishing ghettos then the camps was disturbing. All I could see were correlations to how Trump isolates certain populations and turns his base against them. It is nauseating.

• Fandango August 12, 2018 / 12:31 pm

The similarities are disheartening, aren’t they?

9. rugby843 August 12, 2018 / 10:28 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. My stress level worrying about this has increased and, I have been depressed about it too.

• Marleen August 13, 2018 / 4:53 am

(I am not a fan of horror movies, but am a fan of The Matrix [movies, particularly the first one though]. I wasn’t happy ghosts and vampires, et cetera, were in the second one but then felt better with this explanation or excuse in there.)

10. leigha66 August 13, 2018 / 9:25 am

There ought to be an epidemic if people would just open their eyes and ears.

11. Julie Bennett August 13, 2018 / 11:17 am

The country was divided before Trump and has gotten progressive worse over the course of time. And putting someone else in the oval office won’t change anything, until the clowns we keep sending back to congress find a way to work together.

• Fandango August 13, 2018 / 11:35 am

You’re right, this divide didn’t start with Trump, but he’s certainly fanning the flames.

• Julie Bennett August 13, 2018 / 11:58 am

I believe Trump thinks things in that respect will sort itself out. People look to the president for direction, and when they don’t get that direction, they take matters into their own hands. That is how BLM startef under Obama. Obama didn’t handle their concerns, so people got together and took matters into their own hands.

Trump can easily get in front of the tv and start talking unity, but he is stuck on fake news, build the wall, witch hunt, hillary. I’m waiting for him to move forward. If he doesn’t, my vote will go to a third party candidate in 2020. As it stands now, come November, if those candidates don’t campaign on unity, I won’t vote for them either.

• Fandango August 13, 2018 / 12:51 pm

I’m sorry to say this, but in these times, I feel that voting for a third party candidate is a wasted vote. Few, if any, will win their elections and all they’ll accomplish is taking votes away from the more progressive candidates. Trump will never change, so I’m afraid you’ll be waiting for a long time and in vain. And neither will the spineless Republicans who currently fill Congress and who rubber stamp Trump’s lunacy change. But, do what you gotta do. I just hope that things ultimately will sort themselves out.