Reblog— EFFERVESCENT INGREDIENTS – Marilyn Armstrong

True and too good of a post to not reblog.

Serendipity - Seeking Intelligent Life on Earth

I should be peppy and lively. I should be able to find the ingredients to get the laundry done, to go take a few pictures. Something.

I’m too beat up to find anything remotely effervescent in me right now. It has been a grueling few months. Not always in a bad way, but still exhausting and the crazy humid heat has not helped. I also suspect that my tolerance for extremes of weather is diminishing with the years because I’m far less energetic now than I was even a few months ago.

The combination of personal crises, national calamities, climate change, and a general sense that everything I worked for and cared about is being undone in such a short time, my head is spinning. The best part of the summer has been our winning baseball team. You know life has gotten awfully rough when you cling to sports as…

View original post 623 more words

6 thoughts on “Reblog— EFFERVESCENT INGREDIENTS – Marilyn Armstrong

1. Marilyn Armstrong August 10, 2018 / 12:31 pm

Do the kids really think pointing fingers at US is going to fix anything? Do they think we were born into such a better world? Frustrating!!!

• Fandango August 10, 2018 / 2:19 pm

I think it’s the nature of each generation’s younger members to point the fingers at the older generation for the mess they left them to deal with.

2. angloswiss August 10, 2018 / 1:49 pm

Even the days of the iron curtain were healthier, we knew what we had. Today they cry fake news so we don’t know any more what we have.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 10, 2018 / 2:02 pm

I think anyone who really wants to learn the truth, can. But you have to want to and it doesn’t hurt to know a little history and not believe every stupid thing some politician says. I think some of my granddaughters generation are the MOST GULLIBLE people on earth. They believe anything and they NEVER check.

3. Marleen August 11, 2018 / 11:02 am

Thank you so much for sharing your memories and experience in these matters, Marilyn. I mourn the fact we haven’t kept up the momentum of what your generation got going (such as caring about the environment and cleanliness of where we live and swim… or get our water and so forth… and the importance of infrastructure and on and on). We’re backtracking on subjects that were such obvious improvement I sometimes feel confused (but mostly sort out the motivations of those who are happy in or obsessed with some perverse past). We do seem to be falling apart at the seams. The way people followed along (for fun or a sense of strength) with “that asshole” as he harangued our former president was a huge tell-tale sign of more horrible affronts to come. Much wisdom in recognizing the world just isn’t great and that we all have to work at it (at making it better and not mostly worse) always. What an ingenious vehicle for sharing your collection of cartoons, too!

I don’t usually like re-blogs, but this was so heartfelt (and heartwrenching).

4. Marleen August 11, 2018 / 8:41 pm

I should follow up to say that I am sometimes (probably most often) included in the “boomer” generation (right on the edge). But I remember teachers who were not (from my perspective) in the same generation as my parents [my parents, nevertheless, being the usual young parents], nor in my own (so I would take it as these teachers were my authority figures). In this regard, I remember new young teachers while I was in third and sixth grades (during the span that I went to a public school); I remember learning about multiple heritage types of apples and about not polluting or littering (and, of course, so much more — I wanted to be a sixth-grade teacher). I also remember all of my teachers giving me the impression, by their attitudes and actions (in both public and private/parochial/religious schools), that racism had been left behind at least decades ago if not a hundred years or more hence. (Certainly I was stunned to find out it wasn’t the case; the greatest or most recognizable headway had only been early in my own life [I had no clue] — and there were many people who were not happy about it.) Mildly dismissive discrimination based on sex/gender was more common, particularly before eighth grade.*
    (*That’s in the context of school; we know it has gone on, and beyond mildly, elsewhere.)

Now… what I most wanted to add here with a new post is that the title,
    Effervescent Ingredients (and the substance of
    the words as blogged) is outstanding.