Here We Go Again

I’m a breakfast cereal kind of a guy. Most mornings I fill my bowl with dry cereal, add some raisins, some blueberries, and a sliced banana. Then I pour milk over it all and, well, yum!

For many years my favorite cereal was Just Right. 74FAD78E-1176-4F8C-900E-7EC8ADDB4305It was a nutritious mix of crispy flakes of wheat, corn, and rice with raisins, dates, and almonds. But then I noticed that Just Right was getting harder and harder to find at the local grocery store. Until it just stopped showing up at all in the cereal aisles at any of my local food emporiums.

It turned out that Kellogg’s, that venerable purveyor of breakfast foods, particularly cold cereals, decided a number of years back (2007) to no longer manufacture and sell Just Right. What?!?

So then, after exhaustively searching for a replacement for my beloved Just Right, I finally found a new cold cereal, this time from that other purveyor of cereals, General Mills. This cereal, Total, became my new breakfast favorite.FB956754-2D25-4A59-A241-9FB81BB4F700Total has “all the wholesome goodness and nutty flavor of 100 percent whole grain wheat flakes with 100 percent of the Daily value of 12 vitamins and minerals you will need all day long.”

But lo and behold, Total has been totally missing from the grocery shelves for the past few weeks. I went to the General Mills website and Total still shows up there. But when I went to the Amazon, Wal-Mart, and Target websites, they all listed Total as either “not available” or “out of stock.” One website did have a box of Total available, but the price was $20 plus shipping. Fuhgedabouddit.

So here we go again, in search of a new breakfast cereal.

23 thoughts on “Here We Go Again

1. pensitivity101 August 9, 2018 / 10:44 am

As you add your own fruit, could you buy just the flakes perhaps? I do that with Bran Flakes, though there’s probably more nutrition in the box actually. At the moment, breakfast is a sliced peach or nectarine plus banana and apricots topped with a sprinkle of granola, but no milk. I used to have blueberries and raspberries/strawberries, but the price of them at the moment is ridiculous, and they don’t keep very long.

• Fandango August 9, 2018 / 5:37 pm

Yeah, I suppose I could just do the flakes, since I do add the fruit.

2. pensitivity101 August 9, 2018 / 10:48 am

oh, it could also be an excuse to hike the price or reduce the weight. They did that with a cereal I used to have years ago that you can’t get any more.

3. James Pyles August 9, 2018 / 11:22 am

Usually some kind of omelet or a bowl of plain yogurt for me (with bananas if I want some additional flavoring. My wife is sort of a nutrition nut, especially as we’ve gotten older, and except for the occasional concession for my tastes in junk food (pastrami, chips and dip), we haven’t had anything like cereal in our home for who knows how long? Even if the grandkids are over for breakfast, they usually get pancakes or waffles (from scratch, no mixes).

• rugby843 August 9, 2018 / 5:26 pm

Did you have to mention pastrami? I had my very first pastrami sandwich in San Francisco on sourdough bread. Of course now I want another.

• James Pyles August 10, 2018 / 4:41 am

The culture in sourdough is unique to each area, which is why SF sourdough can’t be made anyplace else. Take the culture from SF to another area, and the local cultures take over, changing it. It’s why you can’t get a New York pizza anyplace else but New York. It’s the culture in the dough.

4. Paula Light August 9, 2018 / 11:28 am

I like Clif bars. But sometimes i do opposite day and have a Lean Cuisine for breakfast & a Clif bar for dinner. Not really a cereal person unless it’s cold, when I’ll have oatmeal. Isn’t this fascinating?

• Fandango August 9, 2018 / 6:21 pm

They charge too much for the raisins and they put sugar on them, making it too sweet for my taste.

5. Marleen August 9, 2018 / 5:10 pm

This has happened to me a number of times, too. A couple times with cereal, many times with other things. I was going to share the one thing I really remember most, but now I’m remembering more things. Number one (not in chronological order) is a drink called “Rain” that was an agave -based (agave juice, not sweetener) energy drink. Number two: a shells and curry boxed deal to cook with tofu. Three: two flavors of canned beans I used for beef chili; I don’t remember what they were both called now, one was either Louisiana or Cajun or such. There are more items, but that’s enough to think of for now. I called two of these companies. The stuff just wasn’t available at all. I did start making the curry tofu pasta from scratch (ish).

• Fandango August 9, 2018 / 7:10 pm

I hate when products I regularly buy suddenly are no longer available. So frustrating.

6. rugby843 August 9, 2018 / 5:24 pm

I loved the Just Right too! Now the boxes of healthy cereals are smaller, overpriced and when you open them ( I know they’re packaged by weight) they’re like two bowls worth!

• Fandango August 9, 2018 / 7:12 pm

I know. Smaller boxes, less content, and higher prices.

7. Sight11 August 9, 2018 / 7:56 pm

Not a cereal guy, wait not a Breakfast guy either. Ha! Isn’t that something.

8. pgraysurvival August 10, 2018 / 1:32 am

That’s what you get nowadays.
    Just as soon as you settle into a routine along comes ‘progress’ and knocks you for six.

The same happens here, brands suddenly disappear BUT we have devised a cunning plan.

When the main shops don’t stock it we just wait.for a few months,
    Then it miraculously appears in our local “super cheap, discontinued lines” shop.
    They getting old stock from wholesalers and manufacturers.

We then bulk buy, usually for cheaper than it was in the first place.
    The only problem after that is where to put 36 large boxes of cereal. 🙂

9. Marilyn Armstrong August 10, 2018 / 1:39 pm

You’re probably going to have to find some kind of granola you like. Fortunately, there are a lot of versions and they aren’t all the hard, crunchy stuff it was originally. Some of the ones they import from Europe, especially Germany, are downright tasty. Even without added fruit!

10. leigha66 August 11, 2018 / 11:45 pm

I feel your pain. I recently found out they stopped making Oatmeal Crisp with raisins. Luckily they still make the almond variety and I add my own raisins. Hope you can find something new you like.