One-Liner Wednesday — Home of the Brave

B012BF24-7902-428B-9E38-A102EB3D4806

“This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.”

Reporter and Peabody Award Recipient
Elmer Davis

I found out about this quote from fellow blogger Léa at Found In France. I’d never heard of Elmer Davis, so I googled him and learned that he was a news reporter, author, the Director of the United States Office of War Information during World War II, as well as a Peabody Award recipient.

Davis had been a reporter and editorial writer for The New York Times before joining CBS radio as a newscaster. In 1942, Davis was appointed to head the Office of War Information, where he won respect for his handling of official news. His liberal stance, however, especially his opposition to military censorship, generated controversy. In 1945 he resumed his career as a news broadcaster, this time with ABC, until 1953. Davis died in 1958.

This quote resonated with me because I fear that we are no longer the home of the brave, particularly with respect to the Republicans in Congress. Rather than serving as a check and balance with respect to the Executive Branch, as the Constitution requires, they have become Donald Trump’s rubber stamp.

So if the members of the U.S. Congress are no longer brave enough to stand up to the unqualified, unhinged man in the White House, how much longer will we, as Americans, be able to continue to consider ourselves to be citizens of the land of the free?

Written for today’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt from Linda G. Hill.

19 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Home of the Brave

1. Léa August 8, 2018 / 3:39 am

I couldn’t agree more. Trump is rubber stamped. He has been given a free pass to destroy the Constitution and all it stands for. I realize I am in another country but the internet keeps me posted as do relatives and friends. Each day another nail is hammered into the the entire Country. What will it take to wake people up and say NO MORE TRUMP and his cabal because it won’t stop with him.

• Fandango August 8, 2018 / 7:30 am

I’m worried that it’s no longer a question of “what will it take to stop him?” but “can anything stop him?”

• Léa August 8, 2018 / 8:20 am

Isn’t it worth trying? It isn’t the time for timidity… Look what’s at stake and not just for America.

• Fandango August 8, 2018 / 8:55 am

Yes, it is definitely worth trying. There is a lot at stake, but I worry that the fix is in. Dark money, foreign interests. Nothing is what it seems anymore. I know I sound depressed and resigned, but I don’t see much light at the end of the tunnel right now. I hope I’m wrong.

• Léa August 8, 2018 / 9:01 am

If the ‘fix’ is in, what to do? Why wait to plan? I hope you are wrong as well. I do wish you the best and I look forward to your future posts. WAKE UP AMERICA BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE! That alone could be a post? I’d be happy to reblog is.

• Fandango August 8, 2018 / 9:09 am

Thank YOU for sharing the quote with me and for introducing me to Elmer Davis.

• Léa August 8, 2018 / 9:30 am

My pleasure and honestly, I just found him myself. I have ordered one of his books so I hope to learn much more.

2. Léa August 8, 2018 / 9:07 am

The ducks were lined up before the oath of office was made, does anyone want to go there? He and the cabal used shock and awe tactics that have not let up. One of the things that must happen is to get them on the run and there are ways. Not only that, one wouldn’t have to stoop to their level as these are legal.

• Fandango August 8, 2018 / 7:13 pm

Thank you for reading it and commenting.

3. Sight11 August 8, 2018 / 9:32 pm

You’re not helping in making up my mind to visit you in America.