Random Thought

A3FF1DD4-BE3D-49EC-9374-0600A6B3D214My wife asked me today what I wanted for lunch. I said, “Don’t worry about it. I’ll fix myself a tuna fish sandwich.” And when I heard myself say that, I wondered why I always say “tuna fish sandwich” and not just “tuna sandwich.”

I can’t think of any other variety of fish where, when you refer to it, you add the word “fish” after the name of the fish. Well, yes, there’s swordfish and catfish, but that’s because the names of those fish include the word “fish.” But tuna doesn’t.

Think of any other fish we catch and eat. Salmon, trout, cod, perch, bass, mackerel, sardines, mahi mahi, herring, flounder, sole, snapper, grouper, tilapia, halibut. You just don’t add the word “fish” when you talk about any of those, do you?

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m the only one who says “tuna fish” and not just “tuna.”

Help me out here. Do any of you say “tuna fish” if you’re talking about a sandwich made with that fish? Or do you simply ask for a “tuna sandwich”?

45 thoughts on “Random Thought

• Fandango August 2, 2018 / 3:39 pm

Never heard of cod fish caked. Just crab cakes. Good one about tuning a piano and not a fish!

1. isaiah46ministries August 2, 2018 / 3:33 pm

No, I say tuna fish sandwich as well. In the grocery store, I ask where is the tuna fish? Just the way I learned to say it.

• Fandango August 2, 2018 / 3:43 pm

Oh good. I’m not that much of an outlier then. Thanks for making me feel better.

2. Michael August 2, 2018 / 3:43 pm

We say ‘tuna’ knowing what it is, I think its another odd Americanism. We do say fish cakes, or fish patties then again I do like a good tuna mornay.

3. Marilyn Armstrong August 2, 2018 / 3:52 pm

When i was a kid, everyone called canned tuna “tunafish” as if it were one word. Probably that was to distinguish it from other types of canned fish (there used to be a lot more canned fish than you find these days). Maybe it just got stuck somewhere in your brain. Garry, for example, can’t call a colandar and colandar because his mother called it a strainer.

4. sonyavdg August 2, 2018 / 4:14 pm

I just say tuna. I don’t think I ever hear people saying ‘tuna fish’ here in New Zealand. Like Michael I always assumed it was an Americanism.

5. The Haunted Wordsmith August 2, 2018 / 4:45 pm

Tuna vs Tuna Fish vs Tuna Salad is all regional (and family) like Coke vs Soda vs Pop
    I’ve always heard Tuna fish if its a sandwich.

6. cagedunn August 2, 2018 / 5:07 pm

As an Australian, I can honestly say I have never, ever heard someone say tuna-fish – or if they did, there was a blank look and they never did it again …
    Must be a thing for the people north of the equator, east of the …

7. ArtisanX August 2, 2018 / 5:30 pm

I think it’s so we don’t confuse it with a tuna “melt”. 😬

8. magnoliajem August 2, 2018 / 6:22 pm

Tuna fish for me if it’s out of a can. If it’s sushi or steak, it’s tuna. Also cod fish cakes, but cod if it’s a fillet.

9. Cyranny August 2, 2018 / 6:23 pm

I say “thon” otherwise, my boyfriend will wonder what’s wrong with me. But I have a feeling that won’t help. Sorry.

Oh, and now I am hungry for a tuna (fish) sandwich… LOL

10. Paula Light August 2, 2018 / 7:39 pm

I think I just say tuna, but I don’t eat much of it, since it smells like cat food. When I give it to the kitty, I say “here’s some tuna-boona,” cuz that’s how I do. I’m from back east originally.

11. Marleen August 2, 2018 / 8:08 pm

I was just thinking of tuna for dinner tonight. I ate granola instead, as I was working on a legal paper. I always said tunafish while I was growing up, and sometimes (not infrequently) still do say it. I never had sushi or tuna steak while I was a kid… I did just now remember tuna croquettes (from my very young years), though. (I don’t recommend them.) I looked up tuna melt as soon as I saw you’d written about this. Tuna melt isn’t something my parents cooked, but something good. If you have a Gordon Biersch near you, I recommend the ahi tuna nachos.

• Fandango August 2, 2018 / 10:41 pm

I don’t think there’s a Gordon Biersch near me, but I’ve been to one before and enjoyed it. I do like ahi tuna sushi, and there is a place near me that has great fish tacos, but I’ve never had tuna nachos.

• Marleen August 3, 2018 / 5:33 am

Those nachos have wonton chips. I like fish tacos, too… anywhere, with corn tortillas.

12. Marleen August 2, 2018 / 8:20 pm

I remember a few humorous young men in high school saying “I’m not a tuna” (in an unusual voice) in the halls between classes or after school. I didn’t ask.

13. ladygaladriel50 August 3, 2018 / 1:44 am

I can’t speak for the rest of the UK, but in the Dean household it’s a tuna sandwich, tuna salad, or tuna, sweetcorn and mayo for a baked potato filling 🙂

• Marleen August 3, 2018 / 5:43 am

?? Sounds like a recipe I’d be interest in. Sweetcorn-potato what?

• ladygaladriel50 August 3, 2018 / 6:29 am

Open a tin of tuna and drain it (if needed). Add some sweetcorn, some mayo, a little chopped spring onion or garlic (whichever sounds most appealing). Season with salt and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are combined but not pureed. In the meantime, bake a potato in the oven. Once ready, prepare as you would normally then add a generous dollop of the mixture on top. Add a side salad if you fancy. Anything left over is great in a sandwich. Enjoy 🙂

• Fandango August 3, 2018 / 7:19 am

“tuna, sweetcorn and mayo for a baked potato filling.” Now that must be uniquely UK, since I’ve never heard of putting that kind of tuna concoction on baked potatoes.

14. Irene August 3, 2018 / 5:56 am

If it is any consolation, “tuna” means “prickly pear” in Spanish, so it would be more than ok to say “tuna fish” to ESL Hispanic students 🙂
    Oh, moreover, tuna (fish) in Spanish is “atun” (pronounced ah-toon)

15. pensitivity101 August 3, 2018 / 7:14 am

Now that you come to mention it, I say tuna fish sandwich,or a double whammy with tuna fish fishcakes!

16. Melanie B Cee August 3, 2018 / 1:59 pm

I’m a “tuna fish” utterer too. Grew up hearing “tuna FISH” and it’s stuck. Huny doesn’t care what I call it, as long as she gets some.

17. leigha66 August 5, 2018 / 2:15 pm

Tuna salad is what I usually have, but yes I say a can of tuna fish some times.