FFfAW — Red Shoes

0B5FAFAD-AF53-4BE2-92A6-6B67B8B13BAC

“What do you think?” she asked the man sitting next to her. He was not only her business assistant, but best friend and confidant. “I don’t know how I feel about red shoes.”

Lin smiled. “They are so you, Kaija,” he said. “They make my pulse rate go up when I look at you wearing them.

“Fine,” she said to the salesman, “I’ll take them, but please be quick about it. I’m on a deadline.” Then she turned to Lin, “And you are a naughty one, saying such things. You rarely talk that way. You are usually so business-like and succinct.”

“I am always direct and honest with you, Kaija,” Lin said. “And now I must remind you that we have been stealing time from your busy schedule. We must get back so you can finish your work before we meet the American businessman for dinner.”

“Yes, Lin, you are correct, as usual,” Kaija said. “Have the car retrieve me at seven. I will meet you at his home.”

“I have to tell you,” Lin said, “that he was going to serve meatloaf, of all things, for dinner, but I told him that you do not eat meat.”

“Thank you, Lin,” Kaija said. “You are such an asset.”

“I do what I can, Kaija,” Lin said. “I requested that he serve shark fin soup for you.”

“That is perfect,” Kaija said as she planted a friendly kiss on Lin’s cheek.

Written for this week’s Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers from Priceless Joy. Photo credit: Yinglan. And for Teresa’s Three Things Challenge (meat loaf, soup, stealing). Also for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (deadline), the Word of the Day Challenge (succinct), The Ragtag Daily Prompt (pulse), and Your Daily Word Prompt (confidant).

16 thoughts on “FFfAW — Red Shoes

1. newepicauthor July 31, 2018 / 3:22 pm

A very nice story that flowed along while you hit six different prompts, good job.

• Fandango July 31, 2018 / 3:31 pm

Thanks. It was challenging to hit six prompts in a single post, but you did 28 or 29 in one post. I am in awe.

• newepicauthor July 31, 2018 / 4:52 pm

Some people hate me for doing that, so I am going to try and get back to one prompt per post, which I did today. Concentrating on a single prompt makes a better story.

2. James July 31, 2018 / 3:41 pm

Now I’m hungry for meatloaf, and with my wife being Jewish, shark is permanently off the menu.

• Fandango July 31, 2018 / 4:47 pm

I’ve never actually had shark fin soup, but my wife makes a mean meatloaf!

3. Priceless Joy July 31, 2018 / 6:39 pm

Hahaha! She doesn’t eat meat but she eats Shark’s Fin Soup which is killing off all our sharks in the oceans. Great story!

4. Sight11 July 31, 2018 / 7:59 pm

All that talk about meat. Veggies for me Sensei. By the way did you try the lentils and flat bread yet?

5. leigha66 August 3, 2018 / 9:23 pm

So many prompts, you did a great job of working them all in though!