Summertime Blues

F1A8E12B-C6E0-4CDE-A77A-4DCE3126DFA0It’s summertime in America and many of you are suffering through sweltering heat and high humidity. I used to live in New York City, near Boston, in Chicago, in Dallas, and in DC and I can appreciate what you’re going through right about now.

Those are all great places to live, but with July about to wrap up and with August arriving in just a few days, I have to tell you, in all candor, I’m glad I don’t live in any of those places anymore.

I genuinely feel for you having to deal with the hot and muggy air, frequent thunderstorms, the buzz of electric fans, the hum of air conditioners, and having to bear the load of bloated electricity bills.

I, on the other hand, am quite comfortable in San Francisco. The highs during the day are in the mid-sixties and the lows at night reach the low fifties. The weather in this city, where it rarely gets into the 80s in the summer and never falls the freezing point in the winter, is, to me, ideal.

Now if they can only get all those numerous wildfires to the north, east, and south of San Francisco under control, this would be the perfect place to live.

And, oh yes, earthquakes.

Written for Teresa’s Three Things Challenge where the three things are buzz, July, and load. And for the Word of the Day Challenge, “candor,” and, of course, for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge, “comfortable.”

21 thoughts on “Summertime Blues

1. Michael July 30, 2018 / 3:10 pm

Ha. Just showed my wife your post as she quite fancies a trip to San Francisco I think you might have just saved me £10000

2. The Haunted Wordsmith July 30, 2018 / 3:22 pm

We didn’t want to move to California because of the earthquakes (and Utah gets a lot too)…so we moved to Kansas…um, yeah, we have had more earthquakes in two years than I did in 30 years in Utah. At this point, I’d gladly move to California…lol

3. JT Twissel July 30, 2018 / 4:13 pm

I live about 14 miles to the east of SF – just close enough that the fog serves as our air conditioning. Today the air quality is quite bad but I have lived in Kansas City, Chicago and visited DC during August – ugh! Air quality is just as bad and it doesn’t cool down at night.

4. newepicauthor July 30, 2018 / 4:14 pm

You can keep all of your wildfires and your earthquakes, as I am happy where I am although it has rained for 14 days in a row now.

• Fandango July 30, 2018 / 4:36 pm

Whatever floats your boat, Jim, which 14 days of rain will certainly assist.

• Fandango July 30, 2018 / 6:30 pm

No it doesn’t, unfortunately. I wonder if this city will be underwater in a decade or two. My home is only 160 feet above sea level.

5. Suze July 30, 2018 / 5:49 pm

it’s the california cost of living that nearly killed us. I sure did adore living there though.

• Fandango July 30, 2018 / 6:31 pm

Yes, the cost of living here is nuts.

6. Sight11 July 30, 2018 / 8:45 pm

Have you seen what it costs to live in San Francisco, Oh wait! You’re living there?

• Fandango July 30, 2018 / 10:19 pm

I live here but I can’t afford to live here. It’s a conundrum.

7. Osyth July 31, 2018 / 7:50 am

I live near Boston. I’m English and I am sending you such a HUGE hug of gratitude. I have heard nothing over the past 6 weeks but bleats and moans because they have some heat in Britain. Really. I know it has been hot and there’s some issue with the jetstream getting too high and stuck so it’s an unprecedented heatwave but it’s a cakewalk compared with the heat and humidity here. And then there’s the winter …… I have one word Nor’Easters. So you gloat, my friend, because you have a pretty climate indeed (though earthquakes …. not so much my thing) and a very pretty place indeed 🙂

8. Em July 31, 2018 / 11:28 am

Switch places with me please!

9. leigha66 August 2, 2018 / 3:32 pm

The temperatures sound great… fires and earthquakes not so much. I will stick with my tornadoes and blizzards here in Iowa. Besides doesn’t it get boring when the weather never changes? I love my 4 seasons here.

• Fandango August 2, 2018 / 3:42 pm

It’s a bit cooler (and wetter) in the winters here. But no snow and no freezing temperatures. There’s an old saying erroneously attributed to Mark Twain: “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”