Song Lyric Sunday — Careless Talk

I actually had trouble coming up with a song for today’s Song Lyric Sunday prompt from Helen Vahdati. The theme she chose was “speak.” Sounds simple enough, right? But I just couldn’t come up with something until I thought to myself, “what do people do when they speak?” And then it came to me. They talk. Duh!

One of Billy Joel’s best albums, in my opinion, is his 1983 album, An Innocent Man. And one of the tracks on that album is “Careless Talk.”

Many of the songs on Joel’s An Innocent Man album were released as singles, and “Careless Talk” was on the B-side of “Uptown Girl.” It’s not very widely known except to serious Billy Joel fans like me.

“Careless Talk” was sung in the smooth baritone style of the late Sam Cooke and it was all about gossip, most likely inspired by the many tabloid articles at the time that appeared about Billy and Christie Brinkley.

Here are the lyrics to “Careless Talk.”

Careless talk
That’s what you heard about me
Jealous talk
That’s what I heard about you
Everybody’s telling lies
I don’t even know why
Why can’t people
Find something better to do

Careless talk
I don’t believe what they say
I heard them talk
They say you’ve been putting me down

In the shadows on the phone
They won’t leave us alone
They’ve been talking
Ever since you came around

Careless talk
Telling you I’m doing wrong
Jealous talk
Follows wherever you go

I’m aware of what you heard
Every terrible word
Everybody’s making believe that they know
All of the intimate things
That we might have said

In the heat of a passionate moment
In a conversation shared
For the ears of nobody else
There are some things they will never hear
There are secrets I’ll never tell
Careless talk
Going around on the street
Jealous talk
I know how bad it can be

Let them stand where they fall
They don’t know us at all
All that talking won’t make a difference to me

17 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Careless Talk

1. Piyali July 22, 2018 / 3:57 am

I am a Billy Joel fan too. But, I never heard this song before. I think I am going to add it to my playlist now.

2. newepicauthor July 22, 2018 / 8:31 am

I was not familiar with this song either, but I did like it although it does have a 50’s do wop sound.

• Fandango July 22, 2018 / 9:04 am

Yes. Per Wikipedia, Joel’s “An Innocent Man” album was a concept album that was a tribute to the popular music of Joel’s adolescent years. He was paying homage to a number of different popular American musical styles from the late 1950s and early 1960s, most notably doo-wop and soul music. One of his most popular songs from the album, “Uptown Girl” was Written and sung in the style of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons and “Tell Her About It” was an homage to Diana Ross and the Supremes.

3. Helen Vahdati July 22, 2018 / 11:30 am

I am a Billy Joel fan, but I mustn’t be a very good one because I hadn’t heard this song. I really enjoyed it, of course! 😉 Thanks so much for sharing!

• Fandango July 22, 2018 / 12:22 pm

Many Billy Joel fans are not familiar with this song, so don’t beat yourself up too much.

4. magnoliajem July 22, 2018 / 11:56 am

Joining the chorus; I’ve also never heard of this one. If you hadn’t said it was Sam Cooke style, I couldn’t have pinpointed it, but now…of course! Thanks for introducing me to a “new” Billy Joel song.

5. ghostmmnc July 22, 2018 / 4:29 pm

I like a lot of his songs, but this is a new one to me. I like it! It does have that old fashioned style to it. Very good! 🙂

• Marleen September 30, 2018 / 10:14 pm

Outstanding song. I like that style.