Tale Weaver/#FOWC — Steady Growth

ADAA4A2F-AB2D-4391-B96E-88C09E437738When it comes to personal finances, I am quite conservative. I don’t have a significant amount of money to fund my retirement years, but I want to do whatever I can to make sure I don’t outlive my savings. And that’s why my investment philosophy is anything but aggressive.

I don’t take chances with speculative stocks and instead, I try to focus on slow, steady growth. I know there is potentially more to be gained in the short term by taking risks (i.e., the greater the risk, the greater the reward). But as a retiree, I am not willing to bet my future on dicey stocks.

Besides, while there has been a steady run-up of the stock market that started even before Trump won the election, I’m expecting the market to stumble and fall and I don’t want to be financially devastated when it happens, as I am sure it will.

I have a good friend who thinks that, by being so conservative, I’m leaving “money on the table.” Well, maybe I am. But whenever I go to a casino, which is not very often, my rule is to never bring to the casino more than I can afford to lose. So I go, I have fun, but even when I lose to the house, which is more often than not, I’m not in so deep that I am at risk of literally losing my house.

On a slightly different note, I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out how to fit the word “susurrus,” which is today’s Word of the Day Challenge prompt, into this post. It’s a word I’d never heard before, so I Googled it and found out that a susurrus is “a soft murmuring or rustling sound; whisper.”

So with that in mind, should you hear a susurrus from me, that might just mean that my slow and steady growth approach to investing may not be going so well.

Written for today’s Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Tale Weaver prompt, which is all about growth, and for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge, “steady.” Also for the Word of the Day Challenge, “susurrus.”

13 thoughts on “Tale Weaver/#FOWC — Steady Growth

• Fandango July 19, 2018 / 10:03 pm

Yeah, I have some from my 401(k) and IRA accounts. I guess, somewhere along the way, I managed to put a little nest egg together. I just hope the market doesn’t tank or I could end up eating cat food for the rest of my life!

1. cagedunn July 20, 2018 / 12:56 am

a susurrus of papers as they flit to the ground when it’s time to come out and play IRS games, perhaps …
    I prefer the susurrus of gentle waves over soft sand, the whisper of claws on sand, the glint of moonlight to light the senses.

• Fandango July 20, 2018 / 7:17 am

It’s a good word. Now that I discovered it, I’m going to have to start figuring out ways to use it appropriately.

• cagedunn July 20, 2018 / 1:39 pm

I have to admit to using it at least once in every novel … I like the way it sounds on the lips

2. talesfromthemindofkristian July 20, 2018 / 1:16 am

Ha ha, Nice use of the word. Yes it was a rather obscure one. I had heard it years ago, only because I had a friend who studied Latin and the latin word for whisper is Susurare which is the root of Sussurous/susurrous/susurrus (all spellings acceptable).

3. pensitivity101 July 20, 2018 / 6:43 am

When I worked for the American Bank, I contributed to their share savings plan for five years, after which I was able to buy shares in the bank at the price they were when I started! I made a killing……….. shares bought for £9 each with my kitty and sold for £37 the same day. It paid for a decent car. We don’t have a lot of money, certainly none spare to dabble on the stock exchange, even if I wanted to. Interest rates are an insult to savers, and I have to wait an additional 6 years before I qualify for a State Pension (4 to go). Our finances are steady, but everything else rocky, so we can;t afford to take any chances either.

4. Sight11 July 20, 2018 / 5:41 pm

I’ve started to believe savings are more important than spending.

• Fandango July 20, 2018 / 6:11 pm

It is if you want to avoid having to spend your golden years eating cat food.