FOWC — There’s Always One

67A05420-F885-4FC6-8935-39A41FB73CC9Do you remember back in school when the teacher would do roll call every morning? As the teacher called out each student’s name, we would each raise our hand and respond with a resounding “here!”

But there would always be that one pompous kid, the one every other one of us thought was a real asshole, who would, instead of saying “here,” would call out “present!”

What a jerk. Just being different for the sake of standing out. I’ll never forget that obnoxious kid. Oh, what was his name? Let me think. Hmm.

Oh wait. Shit! It was me. Damn.

Written for today’s Fandango’s One-Word Challenge, “present.”

11 thoughts on “FOWC — There’s Always One

1. baddadcartoons101 July 17, 2018 / 10:09 am

I think it only got old for the teacher, as I remember all the other students always laughed day after day

2. Irene July 17, 2018 / 10:31 am

In Mexico, you would have been considered rude if you said anything but “presente” (present)

3. The Haunted Wordsmith July 17, 2018 / 11:12 am

I used to mess with my teachers and say “here” or “present” in different languages…. I really was a smart ass. And don’t ask what I did when teachers would call me that.

4. newepicauthor July 17, 2018 / 11:32 am

I had a group of First Graders that I had to escort around the school outside the classroom when they had different activities and they were trained to stop at every crosswalk and wait for me to give them directions. They were waiting patiently for me and I said, “proceed” and apparently they did not know that word so they said, “what” and I had to tell them “go ahead”.

5. JT Twissel July 17, 2018 / 3:37 pm

Lol! That would be me as well, although I’d probably ask “what do you mean by here, really? am I physically here or mentally here. . . “

6. leigha66 July 20, 2018 / 8:58 pm

So you were that kid? I was the one so shy you could barely hear the “Here.”