#FOWC — I Can’t Remember

029D2ABD-EF5E-44B0-B156-AD0D71F27DF5I used to have a world-class memory. I could remember dates and events and facts and stories. Now I can’t even remember to write a post in response to my own One-Word Challenge, which for yesterday was the word “memory.”

Well, okay, that’s not entirely true. I did remember, but between watching that fiasco in Helsinki yesterday morning and then spending the day and evening giving the grand tour to out out-of-town guests, I just didn’t get around to it…until now.

But I have noticed that my memory lately ain’t what it once was. With our visitors this week, my wife has been relating stories about trips she and I have taken and things we’ve done together as a couple or as a family in the past and it’s almost as if I’m hearing about them for the very first time. I’m just smiling and nodding as she’s telling these stories, but I seem to have no personal recollections of those “fun” times.

And it not just not being unable to recall things from the distant past. My wife asked me the name of that restaurant we went to for dinner on the Saturday night before last. I was unable to remember our even going out to dinner together, much less the name of the restaurant. And that was less than two weeks ago.

Or my wife and I will be watching TV and my wife will ask me to get her a glass of water. So I’ll get up, head to the kitchen, the cat will follow me there, I’ll put some fresh food in his bowl, and head back to the living room and sit my ass back down on the couch. “Where’s my water?” my wife will ask.

D’oh!

This is freaking me out a little. More than a little, actually. I’ve read and heard a lot about early onset Alzheimer’s and dementia, and one of the early signs is a memory problem, particularly when it comes to remembering more recent events.

I don’t think I’m there yet, and it could be much worse. As former Vice President Dan Quayle once said in a speech in 1989 before the United Negro College Fund, “What a waste it is to lose one’s mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful.”

(For those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about, Dan Quayle’s comment was a mangling of the Fund’s slogan “A mind is a terrible thing to waste.” It was Quayle’s “covfefe” moment.)

I’m still playing your guide, so I may be a little scarce again today.

35 thoughts on “#FOWC — I Can’t Remember

1. Osyth July 17, 2018 / 4:23 am

Some memory loss is natural as we age. But if you a really are worried, then get yourself tested. The earlier any sort of dementia, be it Alzheimer’s or not is caught, the better. I’m sure you have nothing to worry about but it would be a crying shame if you sat stoically and when there is a tangible issues.

• Fandango July 17, 2018 / 7:11 am

Thanks for the advice. I tend to be overly dramatic in my posts, and I’m not really that worried or freaked out, although it is true that my once sharp memory has dulled somewhat of late.

• Osyth July 17, 2018 / 7:36 am

It’s just my own paranoia leaking out, really …..

• Fandango July 17, 2018 / 10:24 am

No worries. If it gets to the point that I really need it, I’ll go see a doctor. If I remember, that is.

• Osyth July 17, 2018 / 2:52 pm

Haha! Just came back from mine who seemed to be having trouble remembering why I was there 😉

2. Irene July 17, 2018 / 4:44 am

I can totally relate; as one of my friend’s has said “aging is not for whimps”, or something like that, I can’t remember. LOL

• Irene July 17, 2018 / 10:15 am

I meant “one of my friends’ grandma has said …” … I rest my case 😦

3. talesfromthemindofkristian July 17, 2018 / 4:48 am

I too have a terrible memory for lots of things. I repeat myself all the time, I forget appointments and birthdays. I forget I have done something until I start doing it again….
    I still have a good memory for facts and figures though.

Helsinki – It is a shame that beautiful city will be known for such a travesty.

🙂

• Fandango July 17, 2018 / 7:20 am

How many times have I been 1/3 of the way through a book and suddenly realized, “Hey, I already read this”?

• talesfromthemindofkristian July 17, 2018 / 7:24 am

Ha ha, Yes, I’ve done that with a film too. For a minute I think I have become clairvoyant and somehow knew what was going to happen next, then I realise I’ve seen it. 🙂

4. Paula Light July 17, 2018 / 7:36 am

Dementia is much different from normal memory loss that comes with age. My father, forex, used to forget that people were dead and he’d try to visit them in the middle of the night. He didn’t only forget the names of things, but he’d substitute other words for them. He began calling my cat a puppy, forex. But I too get bothered by the failure to recall stuff as perfectly as I once did. It’s annoying.

• Fandango July 17, 2018 / 10:23 am

Yes, my periodic memory gaps are, indeed, annoying. I am dreading the day if (or when?) my mind starts to betray me.

5. baddadcartoons101 July 17, 2018 / 10:18 am

Part of the problem is: when we were younger we still forgot things but we didn’t care nor worry about it. We just can’t remember that we forgot things when we were younger.

6. cagedunn July 17, 2018 / 2:15 pm

The ‘secret’ to retaining a perfect memory for your entire life is *is anyone watching; it is a secret you know?* … dancing.
    True. Dancing keeps the mind active at the same time as the body, remembering moves, associating moves with the rhythm of music, and moving. it lights up the laneways in the brain, and … you end up with an excellent memory. Like all pieces of magic, it must be practiced regularly.

• Fandango July 17, 2018 / 2:44 pm

Wow, who knew. So those of us with two left feet and no sense of rhythm are doomed to dementia? Damn!

• cagedunn July 17, 2018 / 3:48 pm

No, you can sing! Same deal; brain engaged with remembering the words and rhythm, and body works hard to draw in the oxygen!

7. Sight11 July 17, 2018 / 6:44 pm

This was on a basis of Japanese research firm proven, that travelling in a straightforward line while seeing the line, is a good training for mind while you’re aging. So you could try that at your home, Sensei.

• Fandango July 17, 2018 / 10:29 pm

Traveling in a line while seeing the line? I don’t quite get that. Can you ‘splain it to me?

• Sight11 July 18, 2018 / 1:56 am

Just draw a line, or make a line using tape, fix your sight on it and then move with your legs touching the line. It will be like walking a tightrope,(while seeing the rope) but on land, got it Sensei?

• Fandango July 18, 2018 / 7:10 am

Got it. It’s sort of like the tests cops give when they pull you over to check whether or not you’re drunk. Not that that’s ever happened to me, or anything.

8. Marilyn Armstrong July 17, 2018 / 9:43 pm

I think this is normal. We don’t HAVE to remember everything, so we don’t. I remember what I try to remember, which is most of the important stuff i need to do and have done, but I forget little things. i don’t remember the names of places or people and I’m not sure I ever remembered them, but I had a book and wrote stuff down. And if I didn’t LOSE the book, I did okay.

Anyway, writing is a very good way to keep your brain tuned. I remember everything when I write it, at least for a while. Until I write the next thing. And forget the previous thing.

• Fandango July 17, 2018 / 10:30 pm

“Until I write the next thing. And forget the previous thing.” Exactly!

9. leigha66 July 20, 2018 / 5:23 am

I’ve heard it explained that if you misplace your keys that is normal but if you find them in the refrigerator that could signal a problem. I think we all forget a little more as we age…also a lot of medications can cause memory issues.