Superheros

The-Shadow“So who is your favorite superhero?” Adam asked Ben during recess. “Mine is definitely Batman.”

“Batman?” Ben said. “Are you kidding me? He’s not even a superhero. He just some spoiled rich guy who dresses up in a hokey costume and drives around in some sort of souped up funny car.”

“But he fights crime,” Adam insisted.

“He’s a wuss,” Ben said. “The best superhero is definitely Superman. He’s super strong, has X-ray vision, he can fly, and he is invincible and indestructable.”

“Yeah, as long as his enemies don’t have any Kryptonite,” Adam said.

Jack, who had been overhearing this conversation, walked up to Ben and Adam and said, “I’m sorry, but I couldn’t help hearing what you two were talking about. In my opinion, the all-time best superhero isn’t even a superhero. He’s The Shadow, the world’s greatest detective.”

“Detective?” Adam said. “Are you kidding me? That’s not a superhero.”

“Yeah,” agreed Ben. “What kind of super powers does that stupid detective have, anyway? I bet he doesn’t have any super powers.”

“He can see what’s inside of people, but not with X-ray vision. With his brain,” Jack said. “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!”

Written for today’s Three Things Challenge from Teresa, where the three things are Superman, Batman, and The Shadow.

19 thoughts on “Superheros

• Fandango July 14, 2018 / 3:00 pm

Yes, well, in the pulps, anyway, The Shadow was Kent Allard, a world-famous aviator. On the radio, The Shadow was named Lamont Cranston.

1. Scotty’s Keep July 14, 2018 / 6:11 pm

Superman is about done for. With the cell phone fad there’s no place left where can change his clothes.

2. Michael July 14, 2018 / 6:34 pm

Excellent response good sir, I did like reading The Shadow comics.

3. Scotty’s Keep July 16, 2018 / 9:03 am

Superman has come out of retirement in the name of justice. In a few days he will tell you how. I don’t know how to ping back. Sorry.

4. nicheness September 7, 2018 / 2:31 pm

Loved this! The Shadow has once again proven that such evils lurk in the heart of men as thinking being a detective doesn’t count as being a superhero.

• Fandango September 7, 2018 / 3:05 pm

Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed it.