One-Liner Wednesday — Deep Thoughts

BE3EFD51-64C3-4B3F-9D91-833E75A99FB0

“It is better to speak profoundly to just one than to blather at a world of idiots.”

Suze who blogs at “Suziland Too or Obsolete Childhood

Yesterday I wrote a post in which I bemoaned how my blog stats were recently in a nosedive. I admit that I was being a bit whiny, and that’s when Suze put me in my place. She commented, “It is better to speak profoundly to just one than to blather at a world of idiots…yes, you can quote me.”

To which, knowing that today, Wednesday, is Linda G. Hill’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt, I replied, “I just may do that. Stay tuned!”

I thought that Suze’s highly inspirational and motivational one-liner perfectly fit the bill for this prompt. I believe that Suze was telling me that

1. I shouldn’t give quantity a higher priority than quality,
  2. most of my posts are nothing more than me blathering on about nothing,
  3. most of the people who read my blog are idiots,
  4. all of the above, or
  5. none of the above.

In any event, I thought Suze’s comment was, in and of itself, profound. Unfortunately, she has now set the bar quite high for me because I feel as though it’s incumbent upon me to come up with something profound to post about.

Omigod, where is Jack Handey when I need him?3A9F642F-96FA-47D1-8E56-1EB1EA37F669

24 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Deep Thoughts

1. bikerchick57 July 11, 2018 / 3:33 am

I rarely, rarely, rarely look at stats. Keep writing because that’s what blogging is about…right?

2. pensitivity101 July 11, 2018 / 4:09 am

Stats are just numbers that fluctuate. I had just one solitary view one day and was gutted!
    I’ve noticed on hot days my views are usually less than on colder days and weekends are down too. But hey, people have better things to do so it’s nice if someone jots down a comment! One of my posts today confirms I rank in section 3 of your list. 🙂

3. newepicauthor July 11, 2018 / 5:39 am

I am going with option 3 – most of the people who read my blog are idiots, because I try to read all of your posts,

4. rugby843 July 11, 2018 / 6:28 am

I don’t look at stats because I really write for myself and I love reading your posts, so keep on please. They are always enjoyable

• Fandango July 11, 2018 / 8:57 am

Thanks. As are your posts enjoyable.

5. Paula Light July 11, 2018 / 7:35 am

I just assume my stats suck because my poasts are too intellectual and profound for the average reader, especially the ones about cupcakes. [haughty sniff]

6. Laura July 11, 2018 / 10:49 am

Suze sounds like a wise one indeed…plus someone who’s not afraid to give you a kick in the rear end when you need it! Now that’s a good friend to have.

7. Suze July 11, 2018 / 11:51 am

I quite loudly laughed out loud at this post! Thanks sweetie…I go with number one by the way. ;P

8. Sight11 July 11, 2018 / 4:38 pm

No. 3 Dammit I’m an idiot? I read your blog from its infancy, Sensei.

9. Marilyn Armstrong July 11, 2018 / 7:51 pm

We may indeed live in a world of idiots, but i think amongst those we follow and who follow us are many pretty smart people — some downright profound. What is more, we ALL have days when we manage to say something meaningful.

Our overall drop in hits is partly because of the loss of all all WordPress’s centralized posting spots. With everyone trying really hard to fill the gap, that still leaves us without a “center.” For many of us, that whacks a solid 50 to 100 hits off our day simply because nowhere we post has such a broad reach. And they have made it almost impossible to find my blog. You have to type in BOTH lines of my text to get anything on me at all, even though I’ve got almost 8000 posts.

Maybe that was the point? Although WHY they want to damage their highest volume bloggers is baffling. If they don’t want US, what do they they think they want? They are sure somewhere, there is a well of young, smart bloggers waiting to take over. If they exist, where are they? What’s stopping them except lack of interest in blogging, lack of focus to stay with anything longer than a day or two … and the fact that so many of them have nothing to say. Presumably, many of them will recover and become people who think. Hopefully, I will be alive to see it.

I don’t love every single thing you write, but I read you and you often have something worthwhile to say. And funny, which matters to me. Not everything we write is going to be deep, brilliant, or full of wisdom. Most of the speakers whose wisdom we quote didn’t talk like that. They wrote hundreds of thousands of words and we remember and quote a couple of dozen of their words. I think we are doing at least that well.

The point of blogging — of ANY writing — is to do your thing. Whether you are trying to bust the balloon on views or write the kind of deep, long, profound posts I will probably not read because I simply don’t have time for profundity — it doesn’t matter.

Freedom matters. Freedom to write what you feel and believe matters. NOT following other peoples’ guidelines REALLY matters.

• Fandango July 11, 2018 / 10:08 pm

What?!? You don’t love every single thing I write? Oh dear, that cuts to the bone. And I try so hard to please you, too! Actually, I don’t think anybody likes every single thing anybody writes. Hell, there are even things that I write that even I don’t like.

But you’re right, we should all enjoy the freedom to write what we each feel and believe, because at the rate things are going, who knows how much longer that freedom will last before bloggers like you and me will be declared to be an enemy of the people.

10. Marilyn Armstrong July 11, 2018 / 10:17 pm

I know that everybody has their own reasons for blogging. Some of us just like to write and since we also appreciate getting read, there’s blogging. Other people have a message or an (overly optimistic) financial goal. I think most of us just like writing or showing pretty pictures. That is definitely my bottom line. I like to write. More than that. I NEED to write. It’s so much a part of what and who I am, I can’t imagine NOT writing. I wrote for my living and I wrote for fun. Always. I’ve also always taken pictures since Owen was a baby and someone gave me a camera. I get a bit resentful when other people tell me how I should feel about it. They are welcome to do it their way, Just don’t tell ME how to do it.

11. leigha66 July 13, 2018 / 10:06 am

Oh my, I haven’t thought about Jack Handy in ages! That is a great quote though!