FFfAW — Deer Season

AC71C1A3-88CB-4A69-9B69-7EFCC39F54F8The sound of the rifle blast disturbed the otherwise peaceful morning. The gulls took flight, the squirrels and gophers scurried. The dogs started barking, the crows started cawing.

One deer, the large male, fell to the ground with a thud, while the three others scattered into the shelter of the woods. The shooter approached his prey and congratulated himself on the accuracy of his shot. This deer was a four-pointer and it’s head with antlers would make yet another fine trophy for his cabin’s wall.

He could never understand those who claimed that deer hunting isn’t a sport. Of course it is, he reasoned. It takes patience and skill. It’s not something just anybody can do. Just because the other team doesn’t know they’re playing the game doesn’t mean it’s not a sport.

Besides, it’s sanctioned by the state as a means to control overpopulation and to improve the herd.

So screw those who think it’s cruel. They’re just a bunch of libtard snowflakes.

(164 words)

Written for Priceless Joy’s Flash Fiction for the Aspiring Writer. Photo credit: wildverbs.

By the way, I am one of those libtard snowflakes.

11 thoughts on “FFfAW — Deer Season

1. James Pyles July 10, 2018 / 10:29 am

“It’s rabbit season.”

“It’s duck season.”

“It’s rabbit season.”

“It’s duck season.

-Part of a Warner Bros. cartoon where Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are trying to convince Elmer Fudd who he should shoot.

I assume this is meant to paint all deer (and other wildlife hunters) in a very specific light.

My Dad was a lifelong hunter, starting when he was growing up in poverty in rural Oklahoma in the late 1930s and into the 1940s. His family hunted to survive.

Of course, as an adult, he hunted and fished for decades, but had little sympathy for people who didn’t eat what they hunted.

As a kid, my Dad took me hunting and fishing, and as much as I tried to enjoy these activities, they didn’t “stick,” so I never carried them into adulthood.

Like our Dad, my younger brother is a firearms enthusist (although nowhere near my Dad’s level and he was a lifetime member of the NRA). I do own a couple of handguns, but mostly in remembrance of Dad and the times we used to go target shooting together.

Living in Idaho, as you can imagine, outdoor activities, including hunting, is very popular. When I used to own a VW Jetta many years ago, I took it to a VW specialty garage. For a week or so each fall, the shop closed so all the guys could go elk hunting.

I don’t think hunting is intrisically evil, especially if you eat what you hunt, and unless you’re a vegetarian or vegan, you eat meat anyway, you just didn’t kill it (unless you’re a farmer or rancher, but just about every farmer and rancher I ever knew also went hunting).

And while there are conservatives who use phases such as “libtard snowflakes,” I don’t doubt there are liberal folks who toss around a few pejorative phrases when referring to conservatives. Insulting people who don’t agree with you isn’t a trait of a specific political or social viewpoint, it’s a human quality.

• Fandango July 10, 2018 / 10:50 am

I am not a hunter and I don’t own a gun. And I don’t think gun owners are inherently evil. But to call hunting for other than survival or to feed one’s family as a sport just doesn’t sit right with me. It’s not a matter of conservative or liberal as it is to realize that these animals that are killed purely for the “sport” of it are living creatures — God’s creatures, if you’re so inclined — who are, for the most part, defenseless. That’s why I thought it karma when the three hippo hunters were eaten by lions.

• James Pyles July 10, 2018 / 11:03 am

As I recall, they were poaching, which is illegal, so yes, they got what they deserved.

The part about “God’s creatures” relative to Christianity and Judaism is that, according to Genesis 9, God gave humanity permission to eat animals the only limitation being not to eat the limb off of a live animal (and it’s pretty astonishing that He had to give that limit, which means someone out there way back when, was doing that).

In Judaism, part of consuming a kosher animal (long discussion) is how the creature was dispatched. Religious Jews don’t hunt, in part because it is not considered a humane kill. Also, not only is the manner of killing the animal part of what it is to be kosher, but there’s an examination of the beast afterward to make sure it meets all the specific requirements (it’s a long list).

While Christians and Jews are not commanded to eat “God’s creatures,” under certain circumstances (well, for Jews anyway…Christians pretty much eat whatever they feel like), they are allowed to do so.

Yes, hunting is called a “sport,” which doesn’t fit everyone’s definition. What really grinds my gears though, is when these armed guys (most of them are guys) go out, drink beer, and shoot firearms at anything that makes the bushes move. That’s dangerous.

2. Priceless Joy July 10, 2018 / 10:40 am

Oh, that poor deer! You’re right. Hunting keeps the numbers in check and assures healthy deer. Great story!

3. magnoliajem July 10, 2018 / 6:23 pm

So glad you put your disclaimer at the end. I was starting to think I misjudged you!

• Fandango July 10, 2018 / 6:28 pm

Nope. I’m not a gun owner and definitely not a sport hunter. That’s why they call this genre Flash FICTION!

4. Anagha Yatin July 13, 2018 / 1:32 am

Some sports are life threatening, whether you are game for it or otherwise. Believe me when I tell you that I did not know till this time that hunting the wild life was allowed to keep a tab on their growing population.

• Fandango July 13, 2018 / 7:24 am

It is. I guess because humans are the only form of life that matters.