Song Lyric Sunday — Something to Think About

Helen Vahdati’s Song Lyric Sunday theme this week gives us something to think about. Well, I didn’t have to think twice about the song I would be choosing. It’s Bob Dylan’s “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right.”

It’s a song that was written and recorded by Bob Dylan in 1962 and released on the 1963 album The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan and as a single.

Dylan wrote this after his girlfriend, Suze Rotolo, went off to Italy to study at the University of Perugia and left him in New York. Dylan re-imagined their separation in this song as him leaving her.

Dylan said, “A lot of people make it sort of a love song — slow and easygoing. But it isn’t a love song. It’s a statement that maybe you can say something to make yourself feel better. It’s as if you were talking to yourself.”

According to a memoir written by Rotolo, the lyrics “When your rooster crows at the break of dawn, look out your window, and I’ll be gone,” reflects a time when she and Dylan used to live near a poultry supplier in their Greenwich Village apartment. They would sometimes stay up all night and hear the roosters crowing at the break of dawn.

Here are the lyrics to the song.

Well, it ain’t no use to sit and wonder why, babe
Even you don’t know by now
And it ain’t no use to sit and wonder why, babe
It’ll never do somehow

When your rooster crows at the break of dawn
Look out your window, and I’ll be gone
You’re the reason I’m a-traveling on
But don’t think twice, it’s all right

And it ain’t no use in turning on your light, babe
The light I never knowed
And it ain’t no use in turning on your light, babe
I’m on the dark side of the road

But I wish there was somethin’ you would do or say
To try and make me change my mind and stay
But we never did too much talking anyway
But don’t think twice, it’s all right

So it ain’t no use in calling out my name, gal
Like you never done before
And it ain’t no use in calling out my name, gal
I can’t hear you any more

I’m a-thinking and a-wonderin’ walking down the road
I once loved a woman, a child I am told
I give her my heart but she wanted my soul
But don’t think twice, it’s all right

So long honey, baby
Where I’m bound, I can’t tell
Goodbye’s too good a word, babe
So I’ll just say fare thee well

I ain’t a-saying you treated me unkind
You could have done better but I don’t mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don’t think twice, it’s all right

14 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Something to Think About

1. Relax... July 8, 2018 / 8:10 am

I love some songs he wrote that others did (Quinn the Eskimo, Mr. Tambourine Man, many others — and admittedly, I was into music, not protest), but I think I’d have to be a guy in order to love his “man-done-wrong-by-snowflake-here’s-yours-babe” stuff, which strikes me as petulance. I know, I KNOW — I’m wrong! Dylan was God before Clapton was!

• Fandango July 8, 2018 / 10:12 am

Well, maybe he was a bit petulant when he wrote this, since she left him, but he wrote it as if he left her.

2. Felicia Denise July 8, 2018 / 8:44 am

Nice song – interesting lyrics. Dylan said it was more about ‘talking to yourself’ but sounds more like he’s trying to talk himself into something…convince himself it’s no big deal she’s gone.

Then it doesn’t hurt. Wow.

Thanks for sharing. 💯

3. bobcb1896 July 8, 2018 / 2:30 pm

My second fave Dylan song. I remember listening to the instrumental version on my dad’s Ventures album. That’s where I first heard it. Then I heard Dylan do it, and liked it much better.

4. Sight11 July 8, 2018 / 2:46 pm

You and Jim both went with Dylan. I wonder if you guys have similar taste in music?

• Fandango July 8, 2018 / 6:12 pm

Possibly, but he’s way more into the Grateful Dead than I am. I like them, but not like Jim does.

5. Helen Vahdati July 8, 2018 / 3:57 pm

I really enjoyed this one. I also like the fact that it’s about retrospection that a love song. Thanks so much for sharing!

6. magnoliajem July 8, 2018 / 4:34 pm

This is a very sweet version of this song. I think I’m more used to the more upbeat Peter, Paul, & Mary version, but I like this one a lot. I also like Dylan’s own upbeat live version:

7. LydiaA1614 July 9, 2018 / 2:22 am

This is a Dylan song I have loved to hate. Why? Because the message is kind of a downer but the melody is catchy so I find myself singing it every time I hear it. In fact I think I sing it sometimes when I don’t hear it. The words just pop into my head. Wierd, eh? Anyways, thanks for sharing and it will be a refreshing change to be stuck on this after my song last week! LOL