FFfPP — The Apparition

img_1728“I keep seeing him,” Richard told his therapist. “I saw him this morning on the subway platform. He was staring straight at me with cold, dead eyes. He was completely expressionless.”

“Where else have you seen him?” his therapist asked.

“Everywhere. All the time. In store windows. At the park when I’m walking the dog. Standing outside of my house looking in,” Richard said.

“Is he anyone you recognize?”

“He looks vaguely familiar, like someone I should know or may have known. But I don’t know who he is,” Richard explained.

“Can you describe him for me?”

“He is about my height and weight,” Richard said. “In fact, he looks a little like me.”

“You told me you’re an only child, right?” the therapist said. “Maybe it’s an apparition.”

“You think I’m seeing ghosts?” Richard said angrily. “I’m outta here.”

Richard went to see his mother after leaving the therapist’s office. “Ma,” he said, “my therapist says I’m seeing a ghost. A ghost who looks a lot like me.”

Richard’s mother put her hand to her mouth. “Richard,” she said. “Your twin brother died at birth. It was him or you. Forgive me for never telling you. ”

(199 words)

Written for Roger Shipp’s Flash Fiction for the Purposeful Practitioner. Image credit: black-and-white-person-train-motion-42153 Pixel photo.

19 thoughts on “FFfPP — The Apparition

• Fandango July 5, 2018 / 4:40 pm

I can’t remember if I saw that one.

• Fandango July 5, 2018 / 4:41 pm

But then again, I can’t remember what movie I saw two weeks ago! 😱

• The Haunted Wordsmith July 5, 2018 / 5:16 pm

lol…I am cursed with a great memory for anything I see or hear (except print material…I have to read something multiple times before I remember it)

1. Sight11 July 5, 2018 / 5:08 pm

That’s a good response. But the guy in the photo looks less scary.

• Renard Moreau July 5, 2018 / 5:23 pm

🙂 You are most welcome, Fandago.

You are probably one of the busiest bloggers on WordPress.

Whatever vitamins you are taking I might as well consider taking them too!

• Fandango July 5, 2018 / 5:43 pm

Yeah, perhaps too busy. I think I need to slow down a little. That said, many of my posts are short, so 3-4 of my posts probably equates, in terms of word counts, to one of yours.

• Fandango July 5, 2018 / 6:38 pm

For ME to be old enough? I had a twin brother who died in childbirth? Wow! 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who knew?

2. baddadcartoons101 July 5, 2018 / 8:38 pm

It turns out they were fraternal twins and she was a girl. The apparition was merely a reflection from mirrors.

• baddadcartoons101 July 5, 2018 / 8:58 pm

Your blogs always leave me with the desire to keep imagining what’s the next line of the story. I think that’s a great attribute of a good blog.

• Fandango July 5, 2018 / 9:54 pm

Thank you. That’s a generous comment. I do try to leave readers with something to ponder.