Friday Fictioneers — The Music Room

img_1699

Helen managed to hold herself together well during the funeral and the gathering at her home afterwards. But that was yesterday. Now it was time to head to her father’s apartment to begin the task of taking inventory of his possessions and to start throwing out those things that were of no value.

It wasn’t until she walked into the small room where he had kept all of his instruments and music that the full weight of her loss hit her.

“Dammit, Daddy,” she said aloud even though she was alone. “Why didn’t I inherit any of your musical talents?”

(100 words)

Written for Rochelle Wisoff-Fields’ Friday Fictioneers prompt. (Yes, I know it’s Saturday and I’m a day late. So what?) Photo credit: Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.

17 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — The Music Room

• prior.. June 30, 2018 / 4:44 pm

I agree – sometimes the talent is there it needs to be nurtured – ?

1. prior.. June 30, 2018 / 4:44 pm

oh wow – I can see going through this after a death and loved the musical talent inheritance point – I was just talking with someone last night who was sharing how her dad passed away a long time ago and the brother got the music genes – she did not –
    anyhow, this reminded me of that

• Fandango June 30, 2018 / 10:23 pm

I guess some inherit certain “talent” genes from their parents and some don’t. I think I missed the boat on the genes I inherited.

• prior.. July 1, 2018 / 7:29 am

sorry you missed the boat – but I do think some talent is dormant – we see this in drawing – people can learn – like they can learn to drive – but talent underlies how well they do it – so does practice – but I am sure you know this

2. Dale July 1, 2018 / 10:30 am

It’s never too late to learn! She should try.. at least.

3. jillyfunnell July 3, 2018 / 12:23 pm

Most people have music in them – she should find a good tutor. She could find she’s on her way to a rewarding skill she will enjoy for the rest of her life. Great take.