Google Search Page 1

So earlier today I responded to a prompt from Teresa Grabs over at The Haunted Wordsmith. One of the “things” in her Three Things Challenge was “crumpet,” which Teresa said meant “a person’s head.”

I had never heard a person’s head referred to as a crumpet, so I Googled “crumpet.” What I found was that a crumpet is a small griddle cake made from an unsweetened batter of water or milk, flour, and yeast. And my post used that definition, rather than Teresa’s.

This afternoon I got a comment from Teresa on my post. She was researching the word “crumpet” to find out how the word went from being a person’s head to being a food.

In her comment she wrote, “Something really funny is that your post appears on page 1 of Google for the search ‘a person’s head is a crumpet’ and there are 1,260,000 results….WAY TO GO!….lol.”

So I went to Google and searched using the kind of strange phrase, “a person’s head is a crumpet.” And Teresa was right. My post showed up on the first page of the Google search. But not just once. Twice!31A784E0-FF94-4AC6-AFF1-2E761895DE34How crazy is that?

32 thoughts on “Google Search Page 1

1. cagedunn June 28, 2018 / 4:59 pm

I learn something new every day – a person’s head, indeed. I cracked at that one, but I may have to use it in a story someday …

2. V.J. Knutson June 28, 2018 / 5:57 pm

We used to have crumpets for breakfast, but when she loved us, Gran called us her little crumpets. Never heard the head version.

3. Renard Moreau June 28, 2018 / 6:13 pm

[ Smiles ] Nicely done! You are now a celebrity!

Once people can find you on Google, you are guaranteed a readership.

• Renard Moreau June 28, 2018 / 7:21 pm

[ Smiles ] Hmm. Maybe, you need to add more blog posts on that topic and they might end up on the first page of Google.

Never underestimate the power Google has.

I started a new blog on WordPress and I am still waiting for Google to index it.

The folks at WordPress says that it takes 4 to 6 weeks before Google indexes new blogs.

Do consider yourself lucky, my friend.

• Fandango June 28, 2018 / 7:40 pm

Oh, you’re on WordPress now. You used to be on Blogger, right? Well, welcome to WordPress.

4. Richmond Road June 28, 2018 / 7:28 pm

You are to be congratulated, Fandango (I suppose you have created an alternate meaning for that word, too….) on your ascension to google headlines. I am now wondering what the implications of presenting someone with one of those tasty toasted breakfast treats might be …. is it an acceptable alternative to ‘giving head’?

• Fandango June 28, 2018 / 7:55 pm

There probably are alternatives to “giving” head, but nothing compares to “getting” head.

• Richmond Road June 28, 2018 / 8:00 pm

Oddly enough, the word ‘crumpet’ has yet another meaning down here (as in ‘a bit of crumpet’) …. I’m not sure if that meaning has any international acceptance but it does seem to tie everything together in an unexpected way.

• Fandango June 28, 2018 / 8:06 pm

According to the Urban Dictionary, crumpet is British slang for a hot chick or a sexy woman. I’m not an aficionado on contemporary slang, but that meaning hasn’t really taken hold in the U.S. to the best of my knowledge.

5. Christine Bolton June 29, 2018 / 6:31 am

Being English I have never heard of crumpet used in reference to someone’s head. Crumpets are what we eat and also “crumpet” is slang used by men (mostly in east London) when referring to women, as in the expression “ A nice bit of crumpet”. Yes, a charming expression!!!

• Fandango June 29, 2018 / 7:45 am

Seems that not too many people are familiar with “crumpet” as someone’s head, but I have since learned of the other use you mentioned, aside from a griddle cake thingie.

• Christine Bolton June 29, 2018 / 9:48 am

Thinking about it some more, crumpet, when used to reference a woman is likely Cockney rhyming slang for strumpet. Now there’s an old fashioned word!

6. Richmond Road June 29, 2018 / 5:14 pm

Live and learn …. I suppose I had heard the word ‘strumpet’ before but never bothered to investigate what it might mean. But I quite like it …. it sounds sort of affectionate rather than derogatory. I had previously thought ‘crumpet’ used in this manner was an anatomical reference of sorts …. though thinking about it now I’m not entirely sure why.