FFfPP — The Escape Room

img_1670The plans were for the six of us, Janice and me plus two other couples, to go to an escape room place. You know, it’s one of those adventure game places where you and the other players are given a mission and are placed into a locked, themed room. You must find hints and clues to escape from the room. Maybe a container that needs a passcode to open, or a lock that needs a key. If you search hard and smart enough, you can figure out passcodes, open all the locks, find hidden items, and ultimately free yourself.

I’d never been to one, but Janice had and she said it was fun. I am somewhat claustrophobic, so being in a small, locked room didn’t particularly appeal to me. But I agreed to go because Janice asked.

And it was fun. Until one of the others figured out a clue that enabled him to find a key that opened a lock. But when he turned the key in the lock, the room filled with thick smoke. In a panic, I ran to a window and started pounding on it and screaming.

The last thing I remember was passing out.

(200 words)

Written for Flash Fiction for the Purposeful Practitioner from Roger Shipp. Photo credit: Pedro Fogueras pexels-photo-626164 shadow.

13 thoughts on “FFfPP — The Escape Room

• Fandango June 28, 2018 / 7:42 am

Could be. Maybe it’s the Russians.

1. Kenneth T. June 28, 2018 / 6:53 am

I’m not claustrophobic, but the smoke filled room… that’s NOT cool!

• Fandango June 28, 2018 / 9:28 am

For some reason I had to manually approve it. What the hell is going on with WordPress these days?

• Fandango June 28, 2018 / 9:34 am

Hmm. That’s one way of breaking up and avoiding confrontation, I suppose.

2. Sight11 June 28, 2018 / 5:00 pm

So why is the guy still narrating. Is he stoned, is he imagining things?

3. leigha66 June 30, 2018 / 2:52 pm

That would me enough to send me screaming towards the window. Nice write!