#FOWC — Death By a Thousand Cuts

1F6054D7-D4F4-425C-AF21-800579B0EC29I have always considered myself to be an even-tempered, easy-going, roll with the punches kind of a guy. I have a “live and let live” philosophy. You do your thing and I’ll do mine. I won’t try to impose my thing upon you and I don’t want you to try to impose your thing upon me.

(Do you hear that you people who ring my doorbell and try to tell me to embrace your beliefs, religion, or politics?)

But lately my even-temperedness is being sorely tested. I wake up every morning and read my iPhone’s newsfeed and my local newspaper as I drink my morning coffee. And every morning I get more and more agitated by what our president, his White House staff, his cabinet members, the Republicans in Congress, the Trump loyalists, and even the conservative justices on the Supreme Court (see this post) are doing to my country.

It puts me in a bad mood. I become short-tempered, disheartened, depressed, and distressed by nearly everything I read. I let my temper get the better of me and lash out at others in an unproductive exercise of displaced aggression.

I want to go back to being my even-tempered, easy-going self. But, while I’m generally an optimistic man who looks for the better angels in most people, I’m losing my “seeing the world through rose-colored glasses” perspective. Unless something changes quickly, I feel like I am witnessing our American democracy suffering a slow death by a thousand cuts.

Written for today’s Fandango’s One-Word Challenge, “temper.”

18 thoughts on “#FOWC — Death By a Thousand Cuts

1. Michael June 26, 2018 / 4:23 pm

You’re going to have to figure out a way of coping late he could still have another 6 years left from what I’m hearing

2. lifelessons June 26, 2018 / 4:24 pm

Needless to say, you aren’t alone in this. We talk and talk and unfortunately we seem to only be talking to those who already feel the same way we do. I see certain Republican politicians turning against Trump but it should be a landslide by now. What is wrong with people? Are they anaesthetized by privilege?

• Fandango June 26, 2018 / 4:42 pm

I think they’re afraid of the very vocal, somewhat fanatic Trump supporters and a potential backlash if they jump ship. Oh, and Trump’s very wealthy donors who might close the purse strings if they don’t fall in line.

• lifelessons June 26, 2018 / 8:48 pm

And think how profitable a civil war would be for the arms dealers who support the NRA? I would think anyone with any brains would be scared to death right now and jumping the sinking ship of state like rats.

• Fandango June 26, 2018 / 10:50 pm

I would think so, too. But they’re not.

3. Sight11 June 26, 2018 / 4:51 pm

Remind me of not calling you during Trump reign as you could yell at me, knowing that you don’t know me.

4. unexpectedincommonhours June 26, 2018 / 6:12 pm

I agree. And I just read that Sarah Sanders is getting Secret Service protection. Oh, please. Just because she was asked to leave a restaurant. That’s Trump acting as if everyone is a dangerous enemy. We are headed down the slippery slope to fascism, and unless Congress does its constitutional job to provide checks and balances to stop this president, it may happen sooner rather than later.

• Fandango June 26, 2018 / 7:42 pm

“… and unless Congress does its constitutional job….” Yeah, don’t hold your breath.

5. Relax... June 26, 2018 / 8:00 pm

It’s really scary that no one has yet stopped the stable genius’ 80-ring circus. Maybe his doctor should become involved.

6. theministryofshrawleywalks June 26, 2018 / 11:20 pm

It seems the way of the world at the moment, nothing seems to be done to help or to please the normal people. I can’t imagine what it’s like to have Trump from your leader, that in itself sounds bonkers to say. The Tory’s here seem to be systematically breaking down brick by brick what we’ve been living the last 10 years or so. Optimism is gone, good will is gone, apathy has very much set in there’s an underlying feel of disenchantment. It’s sad and I hope it gets better for when my kids grow up.