Democracy Loses In Court

788A93E5-A349-456E-9BF2-24438BB9A5C7I always thought that the role of the Supreme Court’s justices was to evaluate cases based upon legal merits and constitutionality. But in today’s America, it’s all about politics, with many of their recent decisions based upon a 5 to 4 vote strictly along party and ideological lines.

The Supreme Court has heard a number of consequential cases this year. Here are a few of these important cases where the SCOTUS decisions seem to be politically based.

• Refusal to consider the underlying issue related to a baker who refused to bake a cake for a gay couple.
  • Allowing racially motivated state gerrymandering to stand.
  • Permitting states to remove voters from their list of registered voters if they don’t respond to a notification after four years and vote again.
  • Permitting anti-abortion, religiously-based “crisis pregnancy centers” in California to not be required, per state law, to post notices that free or low-cost abortion, contraception, and prenatal care services are available to low-income women through public programs.
  • Upholding Trump’s Muslim travel ban.

As the image at the top of this post suggests, the sun seems to be setting on America’s democracy based upon a series of 5 to 4 vote.

16 thoughts on “Democracy Loses In Court

1. Suze June 26, 2018 / 10:09 am

we are very quickly headed towards either a theocracy or a fascist state. Neither of which are anywhere near acceptable to me.

2. Osyth June 26, 2018 / 10:54 am

All of this angers and saddens me though in the case of the baker I honestly feel that he cut off his nose to spite his own face and that he will find his business suffers for his bigotry whatever piffle the court came out with. In terms of where this country is heading and indeed my own birth country and, but for the grace of Emmanuel Macron stepping forward in the nick of time, France too because it would have been a victory for le Penn, daughter of a true Nazi, if it had not been for his timely intervention, mark my words and Britain voted narrowly to leave the European Union for no other reason than the rising numbers of racially intolerant folks who were whipped up by a group of people greedy for their own power. But back to here. The answer must be not to get too bogged down in what is happening but to absolutely ensure that the opposition party is in good fettle with solid and inviting policies, well broadcast not just for the mid-terms but for the 2020 Presidential elections too. A voice, a charismatic powerful leading voice is badly needed. Without that, this nightmare will not end. It is not a question of niggling about what has happened but about retrenching and coming out fighting with zeal. Or perhaps, like France, what is really needed is one person to step up, form a new party unsullied by any past and whip up the masses to follow them. Those are my thoughts and I remain appalled by what is happening, for the record.

• Fandango June 26, 2018 / 11:54 am

I agree. But there seems to be too much infighting within the Democratic Party to establish a strong and united front against deeply entrenched Republicans. And as to a powerful l, charismatic leader within the Democratic ranks? I’m not yet seeing anyone emerging.

• Osyth June 26, 2018 / 12:48 pm

Nor I. It’s the same story in Britain …. no leaders. When one considers that we are the land that bred Winston Churchill it is mystifying. Macron is certainly such a man in France whatever one feels about his politics and he certainly saved the country from a dreadful fate at the hands of a true Fascist last year and one can only hope he remains true to his objectives and doesn’t sell out on the alter of wanting to make France a super-power. Here I have no idea. Personally I would like to see Michelle Obama run but she is black and a woman so I guess there would be little chance of her succeeding even though she seemed so loved as First Lady. A Kennedy? There is one lurking, isn’t there … perhaps he needs bringing into the limelight. Bernie proved that there is passion and an appetite for something closer to what I would call socialism – c’mon Democrats – quit the bitching and moaning and bickering and get your act together. Your people need you!!!!

• Fandango June 26, 2018 / 1:01 pm

“c’mon Democrats – quit the bitching and moaning and bickering and get your act together. Your people need you!!!!” Amen to that!

3. Suze June 26, 2018 / 1:20 pm

start calling/faxing/emailing/letters to the DNC and state what platform you want to see. They actually do listen (well most of them do). Don’t just wait and see what they come up with…make strong suggestions and/or demands.

4. Michael June 26, 2018 / 4:09 pm

Its so sad when greed and prejudice take over and people stop caring for each other.

• Michael June 26, 2018 / 4:40 pm

I have a good friend over your way who describes the situation as so depressing as if there is little hope for the future

• Fandango June 26, 2018 / 4:44 pm

I agree with your friend. I think my country has passed the point of no return. It’s enough to make a grown man cry. 😢

• Michael June 26, 2018 / 4:46 pm

I think people will want to change the current regime but to do so you need people to go out and vote….that will be a big challenge for you all.

• Fandango June 26, 2018 / 5:24 pm

Assuming that the election will not be tampered with by the Russians as it was in 2016.