SoCS — Bugging Out

A03806E0-CA53-4BA7-A687-FF378589D610Earlier this week, my throat started to feel scratchy. My nose started running. My eyes began watering, my ears were ringing. I was sneezing and coughing. I had somehow been exposed to a bug. When my wife heard me sneezing, she started to bug me, telling me to stay away from her so that she wouldn’t catch the bug from me.

So I went to my home office to get some work done on my laptop only to find out that my software had a bug. How did that damn bug get into my computer and infest my program? If I could find that damn bug I was going to crush it like a, well, like a bug.

I wasn’t going to let that software bug get the best of me. I updated my antivirus software on my hard drive. And just to be sure, I wiped down my keyboard and mouse with an antibiotic wet-wipe.

While my antivirus software was debugging my laptop, I got up and went to the kitchen, where I heard a strange, high-pitched sound coming from my microwave. Was there a bug in my microwave? Was my microwave oven bugging me? No way I was going to let that happen.

So I unplugged the microwave oven and pulled it off the shelf. And when I did, I encountered a huge cockroach staring up at me. My house is virtually spotless. What was a goddam cockroach doing in my kitchen.

I quickly caught the bug and destroyed it. It was in my natural domain, not its own. I wasn’t going to gently catch that bug and humanely let it out into my backyard. No sir, I wasn’t going to be humane to a bug. It’s a bug, not a human.

There was obviously a lot bugging me this past week and I want to thank Linda G. Hill for giving us the word “bug” for this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt.

And with that, I’m going to bug off for now.

7 thoughts on “SoCS — Bugging Out

1. JoAnna June 23, 2018 / 6:33 am

If a cockroach can make its way into your spotless kitchen, I don’t feel so bad about finding them in my kitchen especially in the summertime and living in the south. They do like to hide under the microwave. I take spiders and moths outside, but cockroaches are taking a big risk coming into my house.

2. John Holton June 23, 2018 / 6:50 am

Your discussion of finding a cockroach in your “spotlerss” kitchen reminded me of the segment of “Creepshow” where E. G. Marshall lives in a sterile environment and catches a cockroach, then finds two, then four….

• newepicauthor June 23, 2018 / 7:23 am

I had that saved for a One-Liner Wednesday, “Where there is one there is another.”

3. Embeecee June 23, 2018 / 9:13 am

Sometimes cockroaches are indigenous to an area. In my youth I rented an apartment in a very ‘exclusive’ (read high priced) part of town. The place was crawling with cockroaches and I was told that the ground on which the apartment house was built had been an orchard in days past, and that the cockroaches were ‘in the ground’. There was no way to totally eradicate them. My house was spotless too, but I’d still encounter one now and then. A sturdy shoe usually took care of the problem.

4. Sight11 June 23, 2018 / 3:37 pm

When my family moved to a new rented accommodation because of my dad transfer, little did we know, we will be swarmed with them. Yep almost took a month to clean the whole place out.

5. leigha66 June 24, 2018 / 11:41 am

As soon as one crawled across my pillow as I was lying down to go to sleep I was suddenly wide awake and calling Orkin the next day. EWWWWW!