Waking Up To Bogus “Likes”

80B473FE-8336-41AF-BF0F-41AAE68803CAI am getting a lotta “likes” today. Unfortunately, most of them appear to be spam. They all start with the letters “id” followed by seven seemingly random numbers, and, after some nonsense in between, they end in either “.xyz” or “.website.”

Is it just me, or are some others of you being graced with phony “likes”?

36 thoughts on “Waking Up To Bogus “Likes”

1. Kenneth T. June 19, 2018 / 8:03 am

YES! I got them too, this morning. The last time “it” happened, it wasn’t “likes”, but “comments”, saying one word: “why?”

• Fandango June 19, 2018 / 8:22 am

I got a bunch of comments a while back (and still get them) that just say “What?”

• Kenneth T. June 20, 2018 / 12:12 pm

Uhh yeah… wasn’t “why?” but “what?” that I received as well.

2. Kenneth T. June 19, 2018 / 8:16 am

I know the comments are easy to get rid of, they are spam already so remove them.
    When it is the “likes”, I’d like to get them removed.

• Fandango June 19, 2018 / 8:47 am

If you figure out how to do it, let me know.

3. Relax... June 19, 2018 / 8:35 am

Me, too. I just don’t click on them. If it really bothers any of us, we can certainly ask WP to look into deleting this joker’s “Like”s.

4. Ruth June 19, 2018 / 10:19 am

Me too with these stupid likes today – it’s really annoying 😦

5. bobcb1896 June 19, 2018 / 11:38 am

Yeah, I get those. Btw, mine is legit, but I’m pretty sure that sexyrwug isn’t. Sometimes I get entire paragraphs of mispelled words ( I think they’re words) and praise for my website that they have bookmarked to read later.

6. cagedunn June 19, 2018 / 2:35 pm

yeah, me too – regardless of the banned text box contained just those things

7. Richmond Road June 19, 2018 / 3:39 pm

Does the fact that I can’t even get spam ‘likes’ confirm my utter ineptitude ?

8. Sight11 June 19, 2018 / 4:58 pm

I already marked them as spam when they first appeared so when they add the like on any comment I’m leaving on third party website like yours I’m getting them on my notification tab. Infact they covered it whole.

9. Marilyn Armstrong June 19, 2018 / 9:10 pm

I’ve gotten those and many others. I delete them as spam because i think they are a test run for a spammer at the other end of the link. DO NOT OPEN THEM. Really, seriously, don’t.

10. Kenneth T. June 20, 2018 / 12:15 pm

I received this message from wordpress this morning

***
    Hi there!
    I spoke with one of our spam folks and he said they have rolled out some new code that should stop these messages from coming in. If you continue to see these messages please let me know
    ***

Things that make me go hmmmm

• Fandango June 20, 2018 / 1:06 pm

I haven’t seen any of those Spam likes since Monday, so I guess whatever new code they put out worked.

• Kenneth T. June 20, 2018 / 1:47 pm

Not to be the devils advocate…
        ***a day or two isn’t enough time*** we’ll see…
        ***I hope not, but just thinking, the worse***

• Fandango June 20, 2018 / 2:32 pm