The Great Escape

01DF352D-425B-4199-BF4C-44A4E670928FI used to have a different blog from which I retired three years ago. The focus of that blog was mostly my observations and perspectives on politics, society, religion, community, and current events. On that blog I only rarely posted flash fiction.

The other day, kind of out of the blue, my wife asked me why my new blog (this blog) is mostly flash fiction. “You know,” she said, “your blog’s tag line is ‘Random Musings on Life, Society, and Politics.’ But most of your posts are short pieces of fiction.”

After thinking about the change in the nature of my blogging that she pointed out, I realized that I’m so stressed by the current political cesspool created by Donald Trump, that responding to myriad prompts with flash fiction tales serves as an escape valve for me. It’s perhaps the only way to maintain my mental health and emotional wellbeing in this insane, chaotic, bizarro political quagmire that Trump and his Republican enablers in Congress have foisted upon us.

In all candor, even writing this post is causing my blood pressure to rise. So I think, in order to cope, I’ll continue my escapist mechanism by responding to prompts that you, my fellow bloggers, have offered.

This doesn’t mean that I won’t occasionally dive into what’s going on in politics and in the world around me. But if I want to live to see sanity restored, I need to distract myself with the escape and distraction that writing flash fiction provides.

Written for today’s One-Word Challenge, “candor.” Photo credit: Oadtz at Pixabay.

17 thoughts on “The Great Escape

1. Frank Prem June 15, 2018 / 5:19 pm

F., batten down your hatches. We’re in for a long haul, right around the world.

Fiction and poetry is a safer world to inhabit.

2. cagedunn June 15, 2018 / 5:37 pm

There is always a theme in writing, and sharper-honed in flash-fiction. It’s not that you’re avoiding the issue, but sliding it into a different shape. The inner turmoil is just below the subtext.

And yes, we’re in for a rough ride …

3. Sight11 June 15, 2018 / 5:40 pm

I had to start writing to maintain my sanity; since I was a kid. So I completely understand.

4. baddadcartoons101 June 15, 2018 / 6:16 pm

It’s what separates us from other animals. We can move from reality into imaginary worlds. This can work to reduce the constant stress of reality and make us healthier, happier and give us more energy to deal with those stresses we do face.

5. Marilyn Armstrong June 15, 2018 / 6:47 pm

I completely understand how you feel and many of us feel the same way. The problem is — did you ever wonder how Germany became a fascist dictatorship run by Adolf Hitler? I think that is what we are seeing and if you feel like you are being run over by a world gone totally wrong, we are all in that club. it’s horrifying.

I take pictures of flowers and dogs and trees. It helps.

6. The Haunted Wordsmith June 15, 2018 / 7:53 pm

Politically I anger both sides of the fence but I am open-minded (and neither Dem or Rep), listen to the debate, then try desperately not to break my computer as I rage about what his administration is doing now. My focus academically and personally is environmental…don’t even get me started on what his administration is doing. Being open-minded (and having a son that …well, you follow me, so you know) also means that I am flabbergasted by what we have become as a nation and how in one short year the fringe has become the norm. I think with everything going on personally and politically, my blog is the only thing that has kept me sane.

• Fandango June 15, 2018 / 9:35 pm

I, too, am upset about what the Trump Administration (via Scott Pruitt, et. al.) is going to the environment, not to mention women’s reproductive rights, immigration, the Dreamers, the LGBTQ community, blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, and, and, and. Damn, there goes my blood pressure again.

I started my blog in May 2017, five months after Trump took office because I needed something to distract me from what he’s doing to our nation. It helps…a little.

7. ArtisanX June 15, 2018 / 9:23 pm

This is exactly why I have a no politic policy on my blog. In fact, if a post has a tag that reflects anyone/thing politics, I have to skip right past it. I just can’t, you know…

• Fandango June 15, 2018 / 9:26 pm

Yes, I know what you mean. It is really aggravating and depressing.

• ArtisanX June 15, 2018 / 9:40 pm

I have that “if you don’t see/hear it, it must not be real” philosophy regarding it.

8. Zeno The Stoic June 16, 2018 / 1:22 am

I think the only way to survive is to bury one’s head in the sand. It isn’t just Trump. The entire world is a cesspit. I have mostly retired from it and its “ten thousand things”. Would that I could write fiction.

• Fandango June 16, 2018 / 7:40 am

You should give writing fiction a try. Let your imagination run wild. It’s a great distraction from reality.

9. rugby843 June 16, 2018 / 2:36 pm

I feel the same. I used to be more political on FB and Twitter but it got to the point where I was done. Even now I am pulled back into it all, try not to give in and just do Fiction, but it pops out occasionally. I can tell it’s never received well.