Sunday Photo Fiction — Lawn Ornaments

img_1547

“It’s embarrassing,” Angie told her boyfriend.

“What is?” Neal asked.

“My mother wants to meet you,” she answered, “but I don’t want to take you to her house.”

“Why? Are you ashamed of me, embarrassed by me?”

“Oh no, Neal, not at all. It has nothing to do with you, I swear,” Angie told him.

“Well, what is it, then?” Neal wanted to know. “Why don’t you want me to meet your mother? Maybe it’s time. We’ve been dating for six months. ”

Angie took a deep breath and slowly exhaled. “Again, it’s not you. It’s my mother.”

“What about her?” Neal asked. “Is there something wrong with her?”

“There’s nothing physically or mentally wrong with her,” Angie said. “But she has a somewhat bizarre sense of style.”

“I don’t understand,” Neal said. “What do you mean by bizarre sense of style?”

“Never mind,” Angie said, grabbing Neal’s hand. “This is as good a time as any to introduce you two to one another.

They walked hand in hand towards Angie’s mother’s house for six blocks. As they approached the house, Angie stopped, squeezed Neal’s hand, and said, “See?”

“Yes,” Neal said. “A pair of pink flamingos. That is bizarre.”

(199 Words)

Written for today’s Sunday Photo Fiction prompt from Susan. Photo credit: Susan Spaulding.

19 thoughts on “Sunday Photo Fiction — Lawn Ornaments

1. ceayr June 10, 2018 / 7:07 am

If that is their biggest problem, they are home free!

2. James June 10, 2018 / 8:29 am

I’m surprised my wife hasn’t bought a few by now. She puts up all of these cheap wind spinners in our yard, and hung up a metal frog that has “welcome” written above it next to our front door.

• Fandango June 10, 2018 / 9:27 am

So she, too, has a bizarre sense of style? Don’t tell her I said that, though. I’ll deny it as fake news.

3. Joy Pixley June 10, 2018 / 9:25 am

After that much lead-up, I think he’s probably hugely relieved that it’s ONLY a pair of lawn flamingos. My mind would have been racing to much worse possibilities! But then, our parents have a unique ability to embarrass us, don’t they?

4. Iain Kelly June 10, 2018 / 10:04 am

Do the flamingos represent just the tip of the iceberg, is there worse style to come?

5. Mike June 10, 2018 / 3:25 pm

I wonder does a shocking world of pinkness await for him within the house.

• Fandango June 10, 2018 / 5:25 pm

Assuming he makes it past the pink flamingos.

6. Sight11 June 11, 2018 / 4:31 am

I see no problem with the style, as long as it, remains hidden.

7. Donna B. McNicol June 11, 2018 / 8:18 am

Hmmm, guess I’m in the bizarre starter zone with my Flamingo pen and Flamingo solar flapper. LOL!

• Fandango June 11, 2018 / 8:40 am

Maybe not as much bizarre as quirky?