FFfAW — Business Trip

img_1521Annoyed at having to sit in a coach seat while the plane sat motionless on the tarmac waiting for a break in the weather, Michael looked at his watch once again. It had been an hour since he’d boarded the plane. Of all times to not get bumped up to first class, he thought.

Michael had been away from home for almost three weeks on this trip and missed his family and sleeping in his own bed. His total travel time from Bangalore to Chicago would be just over 25 hours, including a 6 1/2 hour layover in New Delhi, assuming an on-time departure. But that ship had sailed, Michael thought, chuckling to himself at his mixed metaphor.

After another half hour, the dreaded announcement came. “This is the captain speaking,” the pilot said. “I’m sorry folks, but this flight is being canceled due to the weather. Please see the gate agent about alternative flights to your destination once we taxi back to the terminal.”

“I hate this fucking job,” Michael said loud enough to turn heads.

(175 words)

Written for this week’s Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers from Priceless Joy. Photo credit: Yarnspinnerr.

10 thoughts on “FFfAW — Business Trip

1. rogershipp June 5, 2018 / 6:55 am

I have never had this happen, but I think I can understand teh frustration… Enjoyed.

2. Marilyn Armstrong June 5, 2018 / 8:56 am

People who have never traveled on business don’t really understand that it’s not a vacation. You are lucky if you find a few hours and see something besides your hotel, the place you are conducting business, and of course, the airport. I was amazed at how many weeks I spend in San Francisco without seeing anything but the Bay Bridge and my hotel. Garry and I had to go back on an actual vacation to see the place!

• Fandango June 5, 2018 / 10:39 pm

This, too, ended up in my spam folder. But yes, you’re right. When I was working and I traveled a lot for my job, people used to tell me how lucky I was to be able to travel to all these destinations and how exciting it must be. But as you pointed out, during these business trips, I primarily saw airports, hotel rooms, and offices. Only rarely during these trips was I able to see any local sights or get a sense for the locale. Airports, hotels, and offices are pretty much the same no matter where you are.

3. Mike June 5, 2018 / 3:47 pm

I guess that he will be now bumped into a hotel. Quicker to walk, perhaps not.

4. Sight11 June 5, 2018 / 4:59 pm

I once said exactly that and yes in the same manner. Luckily a guy sitting beside me said “Me too”,and everyone forgot about me.

5. Priceless Joy June 5, 2018 / 5:02 pm

Hahaha! Poor guy! He might need to find another job. This happens on airline flights too often! Great story!