Song Lyric Sunday — Sara Smile

This week’s Song Lyric Sunday prompt from Helen Vahdati focuses on the word “smile.” I’ve no doubt that I won’t be the only participant to choose the Hall & Oates classic, “Sara Smile” as my choice for this week.

“Sara Smile” was written by Daryl Hall and John Oates and was released in January 1976 as the second single from their album Daryl Hall & John Oates. The song was the group’s first Top 10 hit in the US, reaching number four on the Billboard Hot 100.

Daryl Hall wrote this for his collaborator and girlfriend, Sara Allen. They never got married, but Daryl and Sara were together for about 28 years before they broke up in 2001. Hall explained that the song was “a postcard to Sara Allen, who was my partner for many, many years, a ‘having a great time, wish you were here,’ kind of thing.” He added, “I cannot tell you how many girls have told me they were named for it!”

Here are the lyrics.

Baby hair with a woman’s eyes
I can feel you watching in the night
All alone with me and we’re waiting for the sunlight

When I feel cold, you warm me
And when I feel I can’t go on, you come and hold me
It’s you and me forever

Sara, smile
Oh, won’t you smile awhile for me, Sara?

If you feel like leaving you know you can go
But why don’t you stay until tomorrow?
And if you want to be free
You know all you got to do is say so

When you feel cold, I’ll warm you
And when you feel you can’t go on, I’ll come and hold you
It’s you and me forever

Sara, smile
Oh, won’t you smile awhile for me, Sara?
Sara, smile
Oh, won’t you smile awhile, Sara?

Smile
Oh, won’t you smile awhile for me, Sara?
Oh, smile awhile
Won’t you laugh, Sara?
Thank you for making me feel like a man
Keeping me crazy, crazy
Smile awhile

15 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Sara Smile

• newepicauthor June 3, 2018 / 7:11 am

Yes of course, but I did not know the title or anything about this song as I am not all that familiar with Hall & Oates.

1. Felicia Denise June 3, 2018 / 10:19 am

Just finished watching Darryl Hall’s interview with Dan Rather. Such a great song and duo! The groove still feels good. 👍💯

• Fandango June 3, 2018 / 10:59 am

I was not a fan of glam pop, but I did really like Hall & Oates from the getgo.

2. J-Dub June 3, 2018 / 10:50 am

There was a made for TV movie that used this song. Name escapes me but I have always enjoyed the tune. Nice choice.

3. Helen Vahdati June 3, 2018 / 11:12 am

There are certain songs that just have to get picked for the theme. This one came to my mind as well and I’m happy someone picked it. Great choice! 😉

4. King Ben's Grandma June 3, 2018 / 11:53 am

I was going to pick this song but I thought someone else would. It’s a great song!
    J-DUB wound up being twins with me on a different song😂😂

5. ghostmmnc June 3, 2018 / 4:57 pm

It’s not ringing a bell with me, as I don’t remember ever hearing it. Nice one, and I liked reading the back story about it. 🙂

6. leigha66 June 5, 2018 / 12:07 pm

I saw them in concert in the 80’s … it was amazing. Great song choice!