I’m a Novice

3E314FD4-7967-4F72-B94F-7D2E0EAB0DA2

I admit, I haven’t been at this very long. Only for three days, actually. And by “this,” I’m talking about hosting a daily prompt. I’m sort of learning as I go, as in on-the-job training.

One thing I’ve learned is that if I title my daily prompt “FOWC With Fandango” followed by the word of the day, and then later post my own response to that prompt with #FOWC,” followed by either that same word or even something else, it can be confusing to others. Like which post is the prompt and which post is my personal response to the prompt?

So, in order to avoid this confusion, my daily prompt will continue to have “FOWC,” which stands for “Fandango’s One-Word Challenge” in the title, but my personal response to the prompt will not have “FOWC” in the title. I will also delay my response post until later in the day. Make sense?

And while we’re at it, are you guys who are participating in this prompt using the Mister Linky thing? Seems that very few of you are. So I’m thinking about dropping it and just relying on pingbacks. You all know how to do pingbacks, right? Thoughts?

And finally, to those if you who have been participating in this daily prompt, thanks for playing along. I love your posts. Very creative and imaginative.

12 thoughts on “I’m a Novice

1. Marilyn Armstrong June 3, 2018 / 5:18 pm

I’m not even sure what Mr. Linky is supposed to do. So I do ping-back because THAT I know how to do.

I ran a prompt for about 6 months, but it was intentionally long and complicated. I have no idea why I made it so complicated. It was stupid. Then I had to have my heart repaired, so I gave it up. \

Yours is nice and tight and that’s really much better. Because most of us get really complicated without any help!

2. The Haunted Wordsmith June 3, 2018 / 6:06 pm

Truthfully, I don’t do the Mister Linky (or the other “blue” one)–not because I don’t want to read others’ pieces…but that I usually forget all about the prompt. Once I find one I like doing (there are five that I will do every week+yours+mine+there’s one more but I forget it now–oops), I follow others doing it, so that when I browse the reader I will be reminded of the prompt. I’m telling you, my memory is going this year. Either that or I just have so much going on that my brain is prioritizing things (gasp, horror). I try to contribute a piece to as many prompts as I can, but some days its just hard to do that, plus my own writing.

3. Relax... June 3, 2018 / 6:52 pm

Someday, I’m going to do all the Prompts I’ve been trying to list in a post so that others can see, visit, post/link, but time is premium and this teeny tiny tablet is not the most user friendly Unit. I look forward to responding to prompts, though, and I love the idea of a one-word prompt. I hope everyone is enjoying it. 🙂

• Fandango June 3, 2018 / 8:38 pm

Ever since the geniuses at WordPress abandoned the daily one word prompt there have been many, including mine, that have surfaced to fill the void. No doubt some of them will drop off. Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting.

4. Embeecee June 4, 2018 / 8:50 am

I tried Mr. Linkys (linkie thingie) and it did not work and play well with my WordPress…and honestly it might not have been YOUR linkie thingie that acted so badly, but another daily prompt writer’s. I’m all for just ping backs, but you should do what is most convenient for YOU, IMHO. Thanks again for stepping up to host a daily prompt. I am very grateful!

5. Sight11 June 4, 2018 / 4:52 pm

Totally going off the topic here, but I like the way that you can post pictures/clip art of any post. How do you do it?

• Fandango June 4, 2018 / 5:11 pm

I do screen grabs of pictures I find on Google Images or Pixabay.com or on WordPress’ free images and then use the “add media” function to insert the image. It’s pretty easy.

• Sight11 June 4, 2018 / 5:56 pm

I know the insertion of picture part, I do that too. But the way you find the image that exactly convey the idea is, well, appreciative.

• Fandango June 4, 2018 / 6:59 pm

Thanks. It takes a lot of time to find the “right” images that effectively illustrate my words. I appreciate your appreciation, Sight.