#FOWC — Out-of-Fashion

4E0005FC-E75F-45A8-AD59-5C13CE3642C6When you get to be a certain age, as I have, you may find that many words that you regularly heard and used in your youth seem to have faded from contemporary vernacular.

The word I selected for today’s One-Word Challenge, “skedaddle,” is one such word. I mean seriously, have you ever told anyone to skedaddle? Have you even heard anyone else use that word since, say, 1960?

Skedaddle means to flee or run away hurriedly, similar to another old phrase rarely heard today, “hightail it,” which means to hurry, rush, or scamper. And speaking about scamper, another word you don’t hear that often these days, that also means to run or go hastily or quickly.

Apparently there are quite a few words that you rarely hear anymore that essentially mean nonsense. Words like “claptrap,” “tommyrot,” “fiddle-faddle,” “balderdash,” and “piffle,” which means trivial nonsense, as if there is such a thing as consequential nonsense. And when someone was speaking nonsense or was full of shit, they were said to be “horsefeathers,” which also happens to be the title of a very funny Marx Brothers movie.

Monkeyshines was a term for pranks or mischief. Seriously, monkeyshines.

Do remember actors like Humphrey Bogart referring to classy, beautiful women as “dames”? Other interesting words describing women were “fishwife,” a coarse-mannered, vulgar-tongued woman, “tart,”  a prostitute or promiscuous woman, and a “floozy,” a woman of ill-repute.

Men of dubious character used to be referred to as “scalawags,” “scamps,” or “rascals.” Unprincipled men were referred to as scoundrels, and criminally-inclined men were called “hoodlums,” “hooligans,” or “ruffians.”

“Rascal” can also be the name for a mischievous kid, and a young and inexperienced person considered to be presumptuous or overconfident used to be called a “whippersnapper.”

And with all that said, I think it’s time for me to hop into my jalopy and head over to the old flophouse.

Can you think of other now-out-of-fashion words you’d like to share?

18 thoughts on “#FOWC — Out-of-Fashion

1. Suze June 3, 2018 / 7:11 am

and I continue to use the majority of those words…some I just cannot give up. Like whippersnapper. I adore the word…I love most of those you listed. I also like Balderdash! Such a magnificent expression of total crap, don’t ya think?

2. pensitivity101 June 3, 2018 / 7:19 am

A good selection, the monkeyshines is a new one on me. I remember someone who was always miserable or didn’t smile was called Faceache.

3. Jina Bazzar June 3, 2018 / 7:35 am

i read this word once in a book and it’s stayed in mind. i think it’s a fun word to say, if you know what i mean. i even used it on my book.

4. The Haunted Wordsmith June 3, 2018 / 8:02 am

Serious! I use most of those words everyday…lol. Except monkeyshines (that was a horrible movie). Even my kid knows what they mean. Guess this is how words never really die out though. 🙂

5. Marilyn Armstrong June 3, 2018 / 11:53 am

I should read the whole post before I pick the word. I was sure it was imagination. Actually, i don’t like reading the post first because it influences what I right, so I save the reading for after the writing. So YOU got imagination and I don’t have the strength of character to write a second time for this. I’ve been writing so much, I can barely find time to do anything else and I really need to go outside and see if I’ve got roses. Everyone ELSE has them so probably, me too.

I do not have time to be me any more.

This really is an old fashioned word, but it’s so … what’s that word that means the word sound like what it means? I’ve lost it for the moment. It’ll come back, probably in the middle of the night. Thanks for the “imagination” even if it WASN’T the real prompt. But y’gotta admit — it LOOKED like imagination if you didn’t read the post following it!

• Fandango June 3, 2018 / 12:08 pm

“onomatopoeia” a word that phonetically imitates, resembles or suggests the sound that it describes.

6. Marilyn Armstrong June 3, 2018 / 11:54 am

I should mention that I actually use all those words. I think readers should have to look the word up. Call me old-fashioned!

7. Marilyn Armstrong June 3, 2018 / 11:56 am

You know what? I thought this was the OTHER prompt. This is getting very confusing and considering how confused I usually am, more confusion is not necessarily my best bet.

• Fandango June 3, 2018 / 12:01 pm

You’re right. Going forward I will make more of an effort to differentiate between the prompt itself and my response to the prompt. Hey, I’m new at hosting prompts that I also respond to.

8. leigha66 June 5, 2018 / 1:04 pm

The one I can think of you didn’t mention was fisticuffs. My daughter and I heard that at a restaurant about a year ago and about fell out of our chairs.