#FOWC — Inertia

AFF5D977-4E31-4836-ACB6-087F18BA8F19My boss — I’ll call him Steve, since that’s what his name is — was standing in front of the entire sales and marketing team to announce the planned launch of our brand new software upgrade. In his role as head of product development, he wanted to gin up enthusiasm for the upcoming release.

“Today I’m going to share all of the exciting new features and functionality we’ve built into our flagship product,” Steve said. “Your role in sales and marketing is to generate significant inertia so that we can hit the ground running.”

My first mistake was to raise my hand. Steve saw me waving my hand. “Okay, Hank,” he said. “What’s your question?”

I stood up. “It’s not so much a question,” I said. “More like a correction. You mean you want to generate significant interest, right?”

“Yes, that’s what I said,” Steve responded.

I should have just sat back down at that point, but instead, I stupidly continued. “No, you said ‘inertia.’”

“Fine,” Steve said. “Inertia, interest, whatever. Same thing.”

“Actually, they’re not the same, Steve. Inertia is a tendency to do nothing or to remain unchanged,” I said. “It’s a lack of action or forward progress. You’re using that word incorrectly.” A murmur ran through the meeting attendees.

Seeing Steve glaring at me, I sat back down and remained silent for the remainder of the meeting. When Steve completed his presentation and the others were filing out the room, I walked up to Steve. “Hey Steve,” I said, “I’m really sorry. I was totally out-of-line. I apologize. It won’t happen again.”

“No it won’t, Hank,” Steve said. “You humiliated me in front of the whole room and I won’t have it. You’re fired. Pack up your personal stuff and be out of here by the end of the day.”

Written for today’s One-Word Challenge from Fandango (that’s me!). The word is “inertia.” Image credit: geralt at Pixabay.com.

18 thoughts on “#FOWC — Inertia

1. newepicauthor June 1, 2018 / 8:01 am

Sometimes it is better to keep your trap shut, but it is never fair to get fired for someone else’ mistake.

2. Marilyn Armstrong June 1, 2018 / 11:00 am

There are bosses, and then, there are BOSSES. Never correct the BOSS. But bosses — the regular guys — they will be grateful you corrected them so they don’t look like fools.

• Fandango June 1, 2018 / 11:08 am

Hank probably should have waited until after the meeting and corrected his boss in private.

3. lifelessons June 1, 2018 / 2:13 pm

You did it! Clever guy. Thanks for the ease with which we can complete this prompt..Hope you have great success with it. See you tomorrow. Judy

• Fandango June 1, 2018 / 2:23 pm

Thanks…and thanks for the Mister Linky suggestions and instructions you provided.

• lifelessons June 1, 2018 / 2:58 pm

You are very welcome. It will be so good to be able to continue with the daily prompt.

4. Sight11 June 1, 2018 / 4:44 pm

Why are people in your stories always getting fired. A bad memory, perhaps?

5. Christine Goodnough June 2, 2018 / 11:10 am

Can’t be done, Steve. At least not here in Canada. Hank can take you to the Labour Board and you’d better have a good reason, have given one verbal warning and one written warning first. (Oops! Now I’m correcting the boss, too.)

While employees now have rights and can’t be fired on the spot at whim of a cranky boss, Hank will know that he’ll never be recommended for a promotion until Steve is gone, so his career’s pretty much torpedoed anyway.

Well done, and I’m glad to see you stepping up to the plate and establishing another source of one-word prompts. Hope it works well for you. I believe you could have done this through InLinkz, too.

• Fandango June 2, 2018 / 11:15 am

In the US, most states have what is called “at-will employment,” where an employee can be dismissed by an employer for any reason (that is, without having to establish “just cause” for termination).

• Fandango June 2, 2018 / 6:20 pm

Some people don’t react well to being corrected. Especially in front of others.

6. Pat B June 2, 2018 / 7:48 pm

Everyone slips up at one time or another, and I suspect the others knew the boss didn’t mean what he said and just let it go in one ear and out the other. It is too bad Hank couldn’t do the same.

• Fandango June 2, 2018 / 7:54 pm

Some people, like Hank, just can’t let things slide.