#writephoto — Beautiful “Sunset”

img_1496“Is that glow from a fire on the other side of the hill?” Samantha asked, pointing towards the hills to the west just across the creek. “Maybe we need to get outta here before it spreads this way.”

“I don’t smell any smoke and I don’t hear any sirens,” Marc noted, “so I think it’s just a very striking sunset with the rays of the setting sun behind the hills and lighting up the sky beneath the cloud.

“Yeah,” Samantha agreed. “The breeze is blowing in that direction. besides, if there was a fire, we’d surely be able to smell the smoke from here.”

“True,” Marc agreed. “I’m going to light the campfire so that we can grill those fish we caught today.”

“Yum. And then, after we clean up, we should get into the tent and hit the sack, since we need to leave early tomorrow morning if we’re going to get home before nightfall tomorrow,” Samantha said. “It’s a long bike ride.”

Or we can make mad, passionate love before we ‘hit the sack,’” Marc said, winking at Samantha.

“You’re such a wicked, wicked man,” Samantha said, laughing.

*****

Marc awoke to the sounds of voices outside their tent. He sat up and glanced at his watch. 2:10 am. “What the fuck?” he said. Samantha sat up and asked what the matter was. Marc slipped on his pants and opened the tent flap.

The acrid smell of smoke filled the tent. Samantha screamed. A park ranger ran to the tent and told the two of them to grab their things and head toward the truck. “The winds shifted last night and the fire jumped the creek and is heading down to the valley in this direction. We need to get you two outta here pronto.”

Written for Sue Vincent’s Thursday Photo Prompt.

16 thoughts on “#writephoto — Beautiful “Sunset”

1. Marilyn Armstrong May 31, 2018 / 5:07 pm

I’ve been feeling that way about life, recently.

RUN — THE FIRED JUMPED THE CREEK AND WE’RE GOING TO BURN!

I’m just imagining it, right?

2. newepicauthor May 31, 2018 / 5:52 pm

Fire can be a real scary thing. Hey did you hear that today was the last day for the Daily Prompt?

3. Michael May 31, 2018 / 6:10 pm

I know conditions can change like that…lucky someone came and woke them.

4. James Pyles June 1, 2018 / 8:13 am

Yikes! When we lived in the foothills, our neighborhood was threatened by a fire, but fortunately, it didn’t come our way. Every summer, the air in Idaho is filled with smoke as the northwest burns.

• Fandango June 1, 2018 / 8:54 am

When the massive fires hit the Napa area last summer, I had to wear a face mask when outside in order to avoid inhaling particulates driven over San Francisco by the prevailing winds. It was awful.

• James Pyles June 1, 2018 / 9:34 am

My daughter lives in Napa and my wife and one of my sons chose that day to visit her up there. Fortunately, they weren’t hurt, but yes, the air quality was ghastly.

• Fandango June 2, 2018 / 2:03 pm

No indeed. That’s why they’re called WILDfires!