What?

778C1D7F-5E31-49E8-A19D-2A6042F86314

Some weird shit has been going on recently on WordPress. I’m getting a bunch of comments, most of which are being tagged as spam by Akismet, but a few are getting though, that simply say, “What?”

They all have a similar URL. It starts “www.sexy.” followed by three to five seemingly random letters, followed by “xyz.” And I’m getting between 10 to 20 such “What?” cooments a day.

Is anyone else getting these garbage comments?

Also, last night at around 10:30 or 11:00 pm PDT, I was unable to save a post I had just written. I got a message saying that my draft post could not be saved and when I went to check my draft folder, the message on my screen said my draft folder was empty. When I checked my published posts folder, it said that it, too, was empty. Egads!

I signed off of the WordPress app, shut down my iPhone, and then signed back onto my iPhone and to the WordPress app, but this time I couldn’t get anything…even my stats! I thought I had lost my whole blog.

I checked other apps: Facebook, my newsfeed, Google, iTunes. Everything but WordPress was functioning as usual.

I waited about 40 minutes and tried WordPress again — and everything was fine. The draft post I had been working on was there. So were all the others in my draft folder as were all of my published posts. And my stats were showing again. Phew!

So did any of you experience a WordPress outage for around 40 minutes last night or was it just me?

11 thoughts on “What?

1. Sue Vincent May 29, 2018 / 11:37 pm

I pressed save on a post I’d spent over three hours researching and writing the other day…and it disappeared, never to return. Stats are weird, I’m unfollowing people I haven’t unfollowed and my comments ahve come up against a name not mine.
    The spam ‘what?’ seems to disappear after a few days.
    My main concern is…what are WP up to THIS time….

• Sue Vincent May 30, 2018 / 8:05 am

More to the point, did I miss Wednesday?
        (Checks calendar)
        Phew… no the prompt is still up till tomorrow.

• Fandango May 30, 2018 / 8:45 am

Oops. I guess I was a day early. Retirement does that to you. All days seem to blend together.

2. Kenneth T. May 30, 2018 / 2:20 am

Yes, AND Yes!
    I hate those spam messages. Grrrr.
    Unfortunately at one point in the last few days I was posting a “video (otw)” and it went *poof* and disappeared, but I’m not sure it was during the same time period.
    Still…very disconcerting.

3. leapingtoes May 30, 2018 / 9:52 am

I get those weird spam messages too. And some real comments got into spam folder, so I still end up having to go through all of them so I don’t miss out any real stuff. :/
    Same problem with the drafts, kept getting error messages, but they reappear after a while.

4. Sight11 May 30, 2018 / 4:54 pm

Got similar spam message already told you before as for the problem with the WordPress app well let me say you and I know both know its history.

5. theministryofshrawleywalks June 7, 2018 / 1:14 pm

christ I didn’t realise, that must have been terrifying. I’m assuming all blogs are backed up somewhere, so you could probably retrieve them…
    couldn’t you??!!