Unexpected and Costly

The comic books, mostly superhero-type comics from DC Comics and Marvel, cost ten cents each back then. The packs of baseball cards, sold by Topps and Fleet, cost a nickel each and included seven baseball cards and a flat, square piece of pink bubblegum.

I’d buy five comic books and two packages of baseball cards each week. I’d ride my bike back home and take the wrapper off of the packages of baseball cards and sort them out. And after reading the comic books, I’d stack them in piles based upon the characters.

I continued to buy baseball cards and comic books for years until I got distracted when I was about 17 by girls. But in the meantime, I had built up a significant collection of both comic books and baseball cards.

After high school I headed off to college for four years. When I returned home after graduating, I discovered that my vast — and priceless — collections of both comic books and baseball cards, which I had stored in the basement of my parents’ house, were missing.

I asked my father about my collections and he told me that he had thrown them away, explaining that he needed the space in the basement for some other purpose. “Besides,” he said, “that was kid stuff. You’re an adult now.”

That was unexpected. And costly.

Written for the new three-word challenge from Teresa over at The Haunted Wordsmith. Today’s three words are “boy,” “wrapper,” and “unexpected.”

16 thoughts on “Unexpected and Costly

1. The Haunted Wordsmith May 29, 2018 / 4:19 pm

Oh man…laughing so hard right now. I have lost more than a few collections to family members not thinking they were worth anything. One collection I lost on my own thanks to being about 10 years old and running a yard sale where some lady asked if I had more Strawberry Shortcake stuff since her daughter liked it…I ended up running in and out of the house several times bringing her everything I had because I was a HUGE fan…she said thanks and handed me a $5 bill. When I realized what I had done later that night I cried and cried…lol. My mom tossed out my entire in-package 1st edition Star Wars collection when I was about 16 😦

• Fandango May 29, 2018 / 4:56 pm

Who hasn’t had a parent throw out a prized collection without realizing what they were doing?

• The Haunted Wordsmith May 29, 2018 / 4:59 pm

My Dad’s side of the family…they all stashed their stuff at my Grandma’s house until she died, then they went and collected it…lol. My Dad had 30 footlockers for comics (most 1st edition there).

• The Haunted Wordsmith May 30, 2018 / 7:15 am

Don’t know. My parents have been divorced since I was 7. I know about the comic collection from a visit I made to my Grandmas when I was 21 about 3 years before she passed away. She was the only one on that side of the family that ever really kept in contact. But I would assume they would be. He never read them, bought only 1st editions, and put them into sleeves.

2. Marilyn Armstrong May 29, 2018 / 5:30 pm

Exactly what happened to Garry. Until they finally emptied out the house, he still thought they might be there somewhere. Nope. Gone. Along with my brother’s American Flyer trains.

• Fandango May 29, 2018 / 5:52 pm

How many collectibles end up being inadvertently tossed out? Too many.

3. Sight11 May 29, 2018 / 5:49 pm

I usually throw my stuff out. But yeah my mon did sell my favourite comics once. Was not happy about it either.

4. pensitivity101 May 30, 2018 / 2:23 am

I had a book called Where the Rainbow Ends which had colour illustrations in it. When I first married in 1977, it got left behind and when Mum and Dad moved in with my sister, a lot of my stuff got sent to charity, including my books (Little Women, What Katy Did, Heidi, the classics of the time). When trying to replace WTRE, I discovered it was a collectors item and my copy would have been worth about £750.

5. leigha66 June 1, 2018 / 11:38 pm

So sad! I know my Dad lost a lot of first few editions of Mad Magazine and several comic books he had as a kid. So much value just tossed away!

• Fandango June 2, 2018 / 6:29 am

Yes, I had a number of Mad Magazines that were included in the collection that my father tossed out.