FFfPP — Uncooperative

img_1410“Look, honey,” Meg said. “There’s a seagull perched on the ledge of the balcony.”

Stan grabbed his camera and quietly opened their hotel room’s balcony door so as not to spook the seagull and have it fly away before he could snap its picture with the cathedral in the background.

“Quick,” Meg whispered to her husband, “it’s looking right at us. Take the picture before it flies away.”

Stan lifted the camera, aimed it, and pressed the shutter button just as the seagull turned its head away from them. “Damn,” he said looking at the digital image on the back of the camera. “It looked away just as I was taking the picture.”

As soon he said that, the bird twisted its neck around and looked at the two of them. Stan once again lifted the camera to take the picture, but just before the shutter clicked, the bird’s head turned.

The same thing happened again. “This seagull is screwing with me,” Stan said, grabbing an apple from a bowl and throwing it at the bird. It missed.

The seagull looked at Stan and flew away. “I think it stuck its tongue out at you,” Meg said.

(199 words)

Written for Flash Fiction for the Purposeful Practioner from Roger Shipp. Image credit: MorgueFile April 62433e902.

12 thoughts on “FFfPP — Uncooperative

1. The Haunted Wordsmith May 24, 2018 / 7:04 pm

I’ve know more than a few seagulls with a sense of humor…plus a goose that would walk up to us, take bread from our hand, then when we would raise our hands and say “no more” it would turn around and spray s*** on us…every single time.

• The Haunted Wordsmith May 24, 2018 / 8:26 pm

Lol…I find birds fairly smart creatures…cats on the other hand are fairly “bird brained”. One of our yard cats ran into the side of the house yesterday because he saw a bird’s reflection in the window.

• Fandango May 24, 2018 / 11:05 pm

I checked out your site. Unfortunately I have no interest in building design, land surveying, or related legal assistance. Thank you, though, for following my blog.

2. pensitivity101 May 25, 2018 / 2:50 am

Ain’t that just the way………… a perfect picture, and the subject moves just as you click.

3. Sight11 May 25, 2018 / 5:29 pm

You know birds are mightier than humans, when you go with pride out on the streets and all it takes is a flying shit to shatter it.

4. leigha66 May 26, 2018 / 1:24 pm

My cat does that … always moves once you get the camera ready! Good story!

5. rogershipp June 2, 2018 / 9:45 am

I have had the same thing happen SEVERAL times with different animals. A year ago I was trying to get a picture of the largest pig I have ever seem! It had just been washed and it was a beauty -for a pig… Ever time I snapped- he swiveled his head. I must have gotten 20 pictures of the back of the pig’s head and its ears. People watched and giggled at me instead of the pig. Thanks for participating in the writing challenge this week.

• Fandango June 2, 2018 / 9:56 am

I have the same problem with my dog and cat. They always seem to look away just when I snap the picture.

• rogershipp June 2, 2018 / 9:59 am

Clever things… My pup is the same. He likes to toy with me- his times of being the master?