Changing The Rules

E6885681-5EB7-47E9-9BC4-964FD657D828NFL owners met in Atlanta to discuss how to handle the national anthem protests going forward. The owners are reportedly contemplating hitting teams with a 15-yard penalty if any of their players or coaches kneel during the playing of the anthem.

It is also considering allowing the home team to decide whether players and coaches come out for the national anthem or stay in the locker room. But if the team decides to have players and coaches come on the field for the opening ceremonies, and a coach or player decides to kneel, the team would be penalized 15 yards. This penalty would be assessed against the team in violation of this new rule on the first play of the game.

If the NFL owners ultimately decide to change the rules and to impose such a 15-yard penalty for players (and/or coaches) who kneel during the anthem, I will never go to or watch on TV another NFL game until such a rule, if enacted, is rescinded.

25 thoughts on “Changing The Rules

1. baddadcartoons101 May 22, 2018 / 7:27 pm

NFL, some people believe in the cause for which they kneel, some do not. That’s ok! That’s what I like about being an American. And whether a person kneels or doesn’t, has no affect on the next guy. If you want to change something about your game that is offensive, change the name of the Washington team. And if you really want to worry about something, worry about all your players who can’t avoid CTE!

• Fandango May 22, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Hear, hear! I grew up in the DC area and was a fan of Washington’s NFL team and didn’t think twice about its name. But the times have changed and it’s time to rename the team.

2. newepicauthor May 22, 2018 / 7:45 pm

I actually like this and I hope it becomes a new rule. I think that if the players want to protest anything, that this should be done when they are not on the field and not on the sidelines.

• Fandango May 22, 2018 / 9:59 pm

Sorry, Jim, but I disagree. The only way for their protests to get visibility is for them to do it where people can see it. It’s the old tree falling in a forest thing. If no one is around to hear it fall, does it make a sound? Same with kneeling. The message can’t be sent if no one can see it.

• newepicauthor May 23, 2018 / 1:20 am

The last time that I looked professional football players were being paid to pay football. They may think that they are prima donnas or super stars, but these protests are ruining the game. What is next, Save the Whales. This is my stage, they are just performers, they should stop acting like cry babies and just play the game.

• Sight11 May 23, 2018 / 1:49 am

I agree with Jim. Just wear a band or something to protest. Unlike the Olympics these players are being paid big bucks to play (not representing the nation even). What’s next a white supremacist kneeling to support Trump. The ‘field’ was and should have always been kept in a politically neutral environment.

• newepicauthor May 23, 2018 / 6:46 am

Here is an idea for the players protests to get visibility, we have some rap music played after the game is over and whoever wants to kneel or participate in anyway let them do their thing. All of these protests have not settled anything, because at the root of ‘Black Lives Matter’ is hatred. Nothing will ever change till we stop the hating. I hate bigotry and I hate haters, but I still see it all the time. The kneeling during our National Anthem is a distraction that takes away from the greatest sport ever invented and most of these players are just being sheep and they don’t realize that they are ruining this great sport. I will accept any opinion that goes against mine, as that is what America is all about.

• Fandango May 23, 2018 / 7:38 am

Kneeling during the anthem is less a distraction than a device to call attention to police brutality that is directed mainly toward blacks. No, the protests have not settled anything, but does banning such peaceful protests or imposing penalties for protesting settle anything? No, but it does set a dangerous precedent.

• Fandango May 23, 2018 / 7:33 am

These days there is no such thing as a “politically neutral environment.”

• Sight11 May 23, 2018 / 5:15 pm

There is. This still remains a public sphere. The thing about being politically correct doesn’t mean that you yourself become the majority and make others minority. What does kneeling do actually. Will the first amendment also dictate that someone like Trump is free to express his opinion. Sensei, their is a time and place for everything. Sorry but the field is for play not show. You can do whatever you want outside not on the field.

• Fandango May 23, 2018 / 6:46 pm

“Will the first amendment also dictate that someone like Trump is free to express his opinion?” Yes, Trump is free to express his opinion. Unfortunately, what he’s expressing is doing way more harm to our country than football players kneeling during the anthem.

• Fandango May 23, 2018 / 7:06 am

They ARE doing what they’re being paid to do…once the game starts. But they are also peacefully exercising their first amendment right of freedom of expression BEFORE the game to protest something they feel strongly about. How is that ruining the game? How is a football player kneeling on the sidelines before the game begins hurting you…or the game? What Donald Trump and the Republicans in Congress are doing is hurting this country way more than what athletes are doing when they take a knee during the playing of the national anthem. I suppose you think Hollywood stars should stay out of politics and not express political opinions. They should just do what they are paid to do. And teachers should not strike. They should just do what they are paid — poorly — to do. People should just shut up, stop complaining, and go along with whatever injustice is swirling all around us. Just go about their business and stop ruining it for the rest of us.

Sorry, Jim, for this rant, but I support the players who are willing to risk their careers to stand up and be counted…or, in this case, kneel and be seen kneeling.

• newepicauthor May 23, 2018 / 8:03 am

As I said, this is a distraction. One of the things that I liked about being a Substitute Teacher is that I was able to stand up every day for The Pledge of Allegiance, as this always made me proud to be an American. People seem to think that they are entitled to do whatever the heck they want these days, and now students are not required to stand for the Pledge. Our country is going to hell because we have all lost respect. Disrespect is hurting all of us and although Black Lives Matter is an injustice, these protests are not solving anything. This actually boils down to an issue of money, as although the NFL did give up its tax exempt status in 2015, this only produced a meager sum compared to its Congressionally-granted antitrust exemption that enables them to receive billions in broadcast revenue and also many of the stadiums are paid for by taxpayers. People care about money and some of the owners don’t care about this issue either way and they are only concerned with not wanting to disrupt the status quo, upsetting the apple cart and losing any of the money that Congress has entitled them to have. It is bad enough that the NFL is embedded in Fantasy Football, we do not need any more distractions that take the pleasure of watching this sport away from real fans. By the way this was a great post.

• rugby843 May 23, 2018 / 7:34 am

I disagree, because these players are very visible off the field. Sorry F

• rugby843 May 23, 2018 / 7:36 am

I don’t like the new rule, but I don’t think on the job protest in this instance is correct.

3. rugby843 May 23, 2018 / 7:32 am

It’s a confusion of events I think. It is their job, paying well, and if they can’t do it they shouldn’t be there. You can’t go into an office and sit on the floor to protest. If they want to show their personal feelings, do it outside the job.

• Fandango May 23, 2018 / 7:48 am

They can do their job. But standing for the national anthem is not part of the job description of a professional football player. If I went to an office and was required to do something that falls outside of the scope of my job — let’s say, recite the Lord’s Prayer before starting to work — do you not believe I have the right to opt out of doing that?

• Fandango May 23, 2018 / 8:43 am

Kneeling for the national anthem at a football game and not standing to say the Lord’s Prayer at the office are the same thing. But let’s say that my employer insisted on playing the anthem every morning before work. Should I be required to stand for the anthem if it has nothing to do with doing my job?