Nothing Personal

bare wallsYou’ve seen those TV crime dramas, right? You know, the ones where the cops bust into the apartment of the suspect. They look around, trying to get a sense of the man, a glimpse into his personality.

One of the cops says to his partner, “No pictures on the walls, no books on the shelves, no personal knickknacks. This place hardly looks lived in. What’s up with this guy? What makes him tick?”

Well, I was that guy. No, not a perpetrator of a crime. I just had no pictures of any kind on my walls, no books on the shelves (actually, no bookshelves, either). No plants to be found. Not even artificial ones. I was a true minimalist.

Only the necessities. A bed and a chest of drawers in the bedroom. A recliner, a small dining table with two chairs, a TV stand on top of which sits a TV in the living room. There’s also a small desk in one corner, along with a desk chair and an empty, two-drawer filing cabinet. The apartment looks totally generic, sterile. Anyone could have been living there. Or no one.

In fact, if some police psychologist came to my apartment, he would probably have tagged me as a shady, isolated type; a drifter who didn’t intend to be there very long, who had no stability or sense of self, and who had few human connections.

But that wasn’t me. Well, at least not when my wife was still alive. In my defense, though, when I moved into my apartment a year and a half ago, shortly after she died, I kind of knew it would be temporary. After more than four decades together, it’s not easy to transition from a life together to a life in solitary.

So when she died, I sold our house, the furniture, and all of our shared personal possessions, at least the ones that my two adult daughters didn’t claim. And because I thought I wouldn’t be in that apartment for very long, I didn’t invest in much to make it my own. But then again, after she died, I didn’t really know, anymore, who I was.

Turns out I wasn’t in that apartment that long. I guess being alone didn’t suit me. And now my daughters, who each live in other parts of the country tending to their own families, have flown in to claim whatever possessions their dearly departed and estranged father left behind, which wasn’t much at all.

Certainly nothing personal.

16 thoughts on “Nothing Personal

1. Kenneth T. May 21, 2018 / 5:15 pm

My father died recently, only a brother and two sisters were allowed in the house (my younger brother lived there as well), my older sister and myself were not allowed inside.

What there is for the taking, will never be avaliable to my sister or myself.

As for me, I’m not “into” wall imagery either, books on the other hand…

• Fandango May 21, 2018 / 5:24 pm

In sorry for the loss of your father.

• pensitivity101 May 22, 2018 / 12:09 am

I’m sorry for your loss. My sister dealt with everything when my mother died as the family are well scattered. She consulted no-one for input, which sadly included notices in the paper and the personal details for the funeral service. I was asked to read one of my poems from a 1971 school book that my mother had kept, but originally it would have been a member of her family who read it. The vicar thought it might be nice if I did apparently. I’m glad I was given the opportunity. Mum had put together a box of little things for me and they are so very precious. I feel for my sister at such a difficult and sad time, but unfortunately, we are not close anyway.

2. The Haunted Wordsmith May 21, 2018 / 5:23 pm

Sounds like my family, except when my Grandmother died (nearly 10 years ago) all the estranged vultures flew in and pecked through the remains. We just found out a few months ago that after they put my Grandmother in a home, my Uncle’s wife had gone in and taken all the family photos. My Aunt (not blood Aunt–through marriage) died a few years ago, and her husband just got around to cleaning out her boxes. Yep, my family is a screwed up one thanks to my Grandmother…lol. Great story!

• The Haunted Wordsmith May 21, 2018 / 6:26 pm

Something really funny about my family is that my Grandmother was always a holier than thou person who had contempt for most people in her family who ever made a mistake or didn’t listen to what she told them to do…last year while searching newspapers, I found an article where she was mentioned…Miss “I never did anything wrong in my life”…get ready for it…sold the family chickens, stole the junker, got a flat tire, drove back and got some boys to help change it, then ran away in the stolen car…LMAO!

3. Sight11 May 21, 2018 / 5:26 pm

I am too a minimalist. But sometimes I do wonder if I can keep the walls standing?

4. Marilyn Armstrong May 21, 2018 / 5:49 pm

I wish someone would come and claim a few hundred things around here. NO one wants them. No one has room for them and mostly, they aren’t interested.

5. stoner on a rollercoaster May 21, 2018 / 11:15 pm

I am afraid of the day when something happens to my dad. I wouldn’t be surprised if people come to pull out door and windows too..maybe later they will try to take away walls too.
    Sometimes you can’t really see difference between humans and vultures