The Epitome of Narcissism

56645EE2-4746-473B-978A-CB3EF6841CF0When I saw that “narcissism” was today’s one-word prompt, I was going to write a post about the narcissism of Donald Trump. After all, narcissists don’t easily accept any criticism or blame; they consider themselves infallible. And that is so Trumpian.

Trump’s behavior and way of dealing with others by dividing the world into good and evil is a typical sign of narcissism. Any criticism of him is met with anger as it is associated with shame and humiliation, neither of which he seems capable of feeling. He constantly expects attention, admiration, and loyalty. And he lacks empathy and compassion.

But is our president a narcissist? We know that he’s ill-informed, erratic, self-destructive, self-absorbed, abusive, bigoted, misogynistic, paranoid, insecure, and spiteful. We also know that he believes he’s better, smarter, and richer than others and that he exaggerates his achievements, blames other for his failures, and is in need of constant praise.

Trump has the tendency to live in the moment without considering consequences, seeking to bolster his self-esteem no matter the risk, making him a classic hedonist. He has no moral code and is totally unfit to be president.

So to me it is clear that Donald Trump is the epitome of narcissism. But this is merely my opinion. I’m not a psychologist or a psychiatrist. I have no training or expertise when it comes to diagnosing narcissism. I am just a layperson who sees the way our president acts and, based upon his behavior, I have drawn some conclusions.

Thus, I’ve decided that there’s not much point in my posting about the narcissism of Donald Trump. It is what it is and my opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Now I just have to figure out how to respond to today’s one-word prompt or if I should just skip it and spend more time with my wife and family.

What do you think?

14 thoughts on “The Epitome of Narcissism

1. The Haunted Wordsmith May 20, 2018 / 8:25 am

Great post! I love how psychiatrists argue with each other over armchair diagnosis, all the while knowing his doctors have prompted him, altered records, and exchanged services for promotion. Makes one wonder. I vote to go outside…we have his administration for three more years at least.

• rugby843 May 20, 2018 / 10:54 am

I hope less. How much more can we take? When are his shenanigans going to be shown as illegal or at least detrimental to us as citizens of the US?
        Sorry, need more coffee I guess.

• Fandango May 20, 2018 / 11:54 am

Given the support of his rabid base and the spineless Republicans in Congress, he may just get away with everything.

2. rugby843 May 20, 2018 / 10:52 am

Definitely the latter, always. But I agree with your use of the prompt.

3. Sight11 May 20, 2018 / 10:54 am

I don’t like him at all. But you have to admit that he is a pain, and a pain which is growing in its effect and region.

4. Paula Light May 20, 2018 / 6:44 pm

I try not to post about that horrible man on my blog but yes, totally agree.

5. baddadcartoons101 May 20, 2018 / 8:56 pm

Just when you’re trying to get Trump off your mind, the prompt is “narcissism”! Hopefully the next prompt will be “caring”, “moral” or “truthful”, words you could never use to discribe DT.