Premature Evaluation

38F6467F-E4D0-4968-993A-FC6FB84BD290“It’s been a year and a half and I have yet to see anything that would cause me to think my assessment of him was inaccurate,” I said. “He is the worst president ever.”

“You’re being premature in judging his presidency,” he said. “He’s not even halfway through his first term yet. You have to give him time; give him a chance. He’s not your typical politician. He’s still learning the job.”

“Have you ever heard the phrase ‘death by a thousand cuts’? He’s slowly chipping away at our democracy, destroying it from within, and doing to our country what Putin couldn’t do on his own,” I said.

“Not true,” he argued. He is keeping the promises he made to the American people, the promises that got him elected.”

“You’re like that frog in the fable,” I said.

“What frog? What fable?” he asked.

“If you throw a frog into a kettle of boiling water, it will jump out,” I explained. “But if you place the frog into a kettle of tepid water and then bring it to a boil slowly, the frog will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.”

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “premature.”

17 thoughts on “Premature Evaluation

1. newepicauthor May 18, 2018 / 7:53 am

Awesome story, but I think that this is the first one where you did not give names to your characters.

• Fandango May 18, 2018 / 10:44 am

Did the story lose something because I didn’t name my characters?

• newepicauthor May 18, 2018 / 11:36 am

Nope, not at all. It was a bit more abstract, but with only two characters, I had no problem telling who was who.

2. KC May 18, 2018 / 10:05 am

…can’t see the forest for the trees

3. newepicauthor May 18, 2018 / 12:48 pm

What is the deal with these Nicolas Heartmann pingbacks? I delete them as spam, but I keep on getting them. I would not mind them if I thought that he actually liked my post, which I have no indication of, as he never hits the Like button and he never makes a comment.

• Fandango May 18, 2018 / 12:56 pm

Not sure. I haven’t gotten any comments from anyone named Nicolas Heartmann on my posts.

• newepicauthor May 18, 2018 / 12:58 pm

Look just above KC and there it is: Pingback: Faith beyond Faith. – Nicolas Heartmann

• Fandango May 18, 2018 / 1:09 pm

Oh, right. Well, I went to his site and he does seem to be legit. I think he just put links in his latest post to others who have responded to today’s one-word prompt.

• Fandango May 18, 2018 / 3:45 pm

There are a number of bloggers who link to the posts of others who participate in WordPress prompts, whether the daily on-word prompt or the weekly photo challenge.