I’m a Mutt Man

A5E0FD6C-B3E8-4882-A6FA-7A59357D38A9We’ve always has dogs in our family for as far back as I can remember. My mother’s favorite breed was the Shih Tsu. At one point we had three generations of Shih Tsus in our house. A mother, a daughter, and a granddaughter. Each with its proper pedigree and American Kennel Club papers.

I hated those little rug rats. They were all high-strung, yappy, needy, little bitches. And at one point or another, all three peed on my sneakers. While I was wearing them!

Once I moved out of my parents’ house, I swore that if I ever got my own dogs, they would be larger breeds and mutts. No high maintenance pedigreed, little yappers for me.

Every dog I’ve had since has been a rescue dog, a mongrel. These animals are simply grateful to have a permanent home where they can be fed, nurtured, well cared for, and, most important, loved. They demand little and appreciate a lot.

So if you’re a dog lover and you’re looking for the perfect pet, you should consider a rescue dog. It won’t have the perfect pedigree and it won’t win any dog show accolades, but it will be the best dog you’ve ever had.

Take it from me and my dog.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “pedigree.”

11 thoughts on “I’m a Mutt Man

1. Cyranny May 15, 2018 / 2:23 pm

I totally agree… All the dogs we had were rescued, and they were the bestest! (lol)

2. KC May 15, 2018 / 2:35 pm

You brought a smile to my mug! I have two Shih Tsus, brother-sister, they are afraid of everything but they don’t bark, I taught them better. I love them but, you are spot on about adoption and I won’t ever get a purebred dog again.

• Fandango May 15, 2018 / 10:58 pm

My mom’s Shih Tsus never stopped yapping. I guess she didn’t teach them better. For sonevreason your comment went into my spam folder, which is why my reply is so tardy.

3. The Haunted Wordsmith May 15, 2018 / 2:43 pm

Could not agree more (although if I ever get a dog again, it will be a pure bred Newfoundland). Growing up we never had anything other than mixes. Two were bought from a pet store just before a holiday and we didn’t have the heart to leave them there. Another two were found in the shelter and brought home. We tried to get them in pairs so they could keep each other company. One dog we had was a doberman mix that destroyed (ate!) our love seat the first day he was left alone. I love dogs and have always had dogs…nature is cruel though (or has a demented sense of humor) and gave me a son who hates dogs and loves cats. We now care for 5 permanent cats and 4 visiting cats (they are all neighborhood strays). Did I mention I am allergic to cats. The cats don’t know that though. Rescued dogs for the win.

4. cagedunn May 15, 2018 / 3:04 pm

you always know you’re loved when you have a dog – or a dog is part of your pack.

5. r.Douglas May 15, 2018 / 3:28 pm

We got a hundred and four pounds of rescue puppy. A moose named Coda. Named so because the plan is, he’s to be our last dog. But who knows, and if health holds we just might get bold and rescue another. We live in the inner city of a major metro area. Dogs aplenty. And I have to say it seems 70 % of the canines are rescue. A fifty precent change from a decade ago. And that’s a good thing.

6. Sight11 May 15, 2018 / 5:15 pm

Is that you. Yay…. I know how you look. If you ever want to know how I look just imagine a brown donkey.

7. Marilyn Armstrong May 16, 2018 / 11:27 am

We’ve got two pure breds and both were rescues — plus Duke the “who knows” of the pack. They are ALL glad to be rescued. Turns out, just being a breed doesn’t mean your owners aren’t going to toss you away when you aren’t a cute little puppy. ALL rescues make great dogs — though sometimes, it takes time to get them there.