Our Reality Show President

8082C722-ECCC-4A58-BD17-850E65C609BADid you see, hear, or read about when Donald Trump met the three American prisoners just released by North Korea when they arrived at Andrews Air Force Base early Thursday morning? These three men had been held captive in an authoritarian regime for months and, in some cases, years. And yet, Trump inexplicably said, “We want to thank Kim Jong-un, who really was excellent to these three incredible people.”

Seriously? Kim was excellent to these three men? I wonder if they thought they were receiving excellent treatment while in those North Korean labor camps.

But what really amazed me about that early morning meeting at Andrews AFB was when Trump was addressing the media and said:

“I want to thank you all. It’s very early in the morning. I think you probably broke the all time in history television rating for three o’clock in the morning. That I would say.”

It’s three in the morning and Trump is standing with the three released captives and he talks about how many people must be watching on TV.

So there it is. If you’ve ever wondered where our president’s priorities lie, just take a look at what he focused when on he was there, allegedly, to personally greet the three former captives. It’s all about ratings.

I saw presidential historian and author Jon Meacham in one of the late night talk shows last week and he said something that resonated with me. He said, “Donald Trump thinks of us not as citizens of a country but as a reality show audience.”

Trump is so sure that the most important thing about his presidency is ratings that he’s convinced that ratings are the key to his being re-elected in 2020.

He said, “The reason that I’m going to win another four years is because newspapers, television, all forms of media will tank if I’m not there because without me, their ratings are going down the tubes.”

Trump added, “And eventually, probably six months before the election, they’ll be loving me because they’re saying, ‘Please, please, don’t lose Donald Trump.’ Okay?”

So, America, we have a man in the Oval Office who really doesn’t want to be president. He just wants to be the host of the world’s greatest reality show, not the world’s greatest nation.

Yes, I know. This is my second consecutive rant about Donald Trump. Sorry, but that’s the mood I’m in.

19 thoughts on “Our Reality Show President

1. pensitivity101 May 12, 2018 / 12:33 pm

On the other side of The Pond, he scares me silly. Tweeting? Not very presidential or professional if you ask me for someone supposedly running the greatest country, he shouldn’t be chasing ratings. I can’t stand his mannerisms and egotism. Someone should fire him. (sorry, I don’t usually do politics)

2. Sight11 May 12, 2018 / 12:36 pm

It might be insulting, but I think Americans (not all but some.. Majority of them..I want to add) are stupid and Trump knows it, as he is one of them.

• Sight11 May 12, 2018 / 2:11 pm

Read it…. An airplane was about to crash.
        There were 4 passengers on board, but only 3 parachutes.
        The 1st passenger said “I am Stephen Curry, the best NBA basketball player. The Warriors and my millions of fans need me, and I can’t afford to die.” So he took the 1st pack and left the plane.
        The 2nd passenger, Donald Trump, said, “I am the newly-elected US President, and I am the smartest President in American history, so my people don’t want me to die.” He took the 2nd pack and jumped out of the plane.
        The 3rd passenger, the Pope, said to the 4th passenger, a 10-year-old schoolboy, “My son, I am old and don’t have many years left, you have more years ahead so I will sacrifice my life and let you have the last parachute.”
        The little boy said, “That’s okay, Your Holiness, there’s a parachute left for you.
        America’s smartest President took my schoolbag.”

3. r.Douglas May 12, 2018 / 1:48 pm

When the political narrative turns on the tactical needs of a culture war, any long term governing strategy becomes subservient to the magic of the moment. And the only matrix that matters is the number of eyeballs currently conjured. Hence the low-rent rants for high end ratings. And with all back plot forgotten and foreshadowing coarsely boiled down to a glue stew of “stayed tuned.”

Nice Post.

regards,
    r.douglas

• Fandango May 12, 2018 / 2:47 pm

The man has no sense of history and no comprehension of the future. Apparently neither do those who enable and support him.

4. Marilyn Armstrong May 12, 2018 / 2:47 pm

He just wanted another year of “The Apprentice.” We should have given him that AND and Emmy and saved a lot of misery.

5. Richmond Road May 12, 2018 / 5:37 pm

You can’t help feeling for those 3 prisoners. Having been held in isolation and probably deprived of information on world events they must have been shocked to be greeted by The Donald. They must have thought, “Holy shit! What are we going back to?”

• Fandango May 12, 2018 / 5:46 pm

Either that or they were going to be on “The Apprentice.”

6. V.J. Knutson May 12, 2018 / 6:50 pm

I am still in shock over what he said to those newly released captives. The man has not one shred of compassion (or common sense) in his bones.

• Fandango May 12, 2018 / 7:00 pm

“The man has not one shred of compassion (or common sense) in his bones.” Nor any sense of decency.

7. baddadcartoons101 May 12, 2018 / 10:02 pm

It just makes me wonder who will be our next celebrity president, I don’t think Trump will be our last!