#100WW — The Bookcase

img_1346“The books on the right are books that I’ve read,” Ellen explained.

“And the books on the left?” her friend Gretchen asked.

“They are books that I still want to read,” Ellen answered.

“What about those in the middle on their side with the little stuffed dog sitting on top of them?” Gretchen asked.

“Oh those,” Ellen answered. “Those are books that I started to read but they were so bad that I couldn’t finish them.”

“If they were so bad, why keep them?”

“I can’t throw them away,” Ellen said. “People will think I’m illiterate.”

(96 words)

Written for this week’s 100 Word Wednesday prompt from Bikurgurl.

7 thoughts on “#100WW — The Bookcase

1. Marilyn Armstrong May 9, 2018 / 5:06 pm

It took me YEARS to be able to throw away a book. i always felt that the printed page was ever so slightly sacred.

• Fandango May 9, 2018 / 5:10 pm

I’ve had to purge my book library multiple times as I’ve moved around the country too often to make keeping all of my books practical.

2. Sight11 May 9, 2018 / 5:33 pm

I don’t keep my books. If I start to, the books will have a home and as for me well.. You can imagine.

3. theministryofshrawleywalks May 9, 2018 / 11:12 pm

All my books are in boxes at my folks house. I instantly regretted not having them around, I seem to surround myself with my shite, I like it, it makes r feel secure! But now I feel illiterate!

4. rugby843 May 10, 2018 / 11:44 am

When we moved we gave away almost every book to our library. Now the ones left are in storage.

5. Michael May 10, 2018 / 5:40 pm

I purged my books recently, ended up giving most of them to an op shop. Good response good sir.

• Fandango May 10, 2018 / 6:12 pm

I generally donate the books I don’t have room to store to the local library so that perhaps some of them will be put to good use.