It’s About Time

9A7B8094-A95E-4AB9-B754-B5DBF31A9A1BWhat time does the clock in the above image say? Can you read it? Of course you can.

I was watching “Jimmy Kimmel Live” the other day. Well, I wasn’t actually watching it live. I was watching it from my DVR recording. But either way, I was struck by a segment where one of his staff went out on the street and asked a number of kids, some as old as teenagers, to look at an image of an analog clock and say what time was on the clock. Remarkably, only one of the those asked could do it.

Along those lines, I read about a recent study that showed that only one in ten Oklahoma City kids ages 6 to 12 owned an analog watch. And only one in five knew how to read one.

I also just read that British schools are replacing analog clocks with digital clocks because of students’ inability to read the analog ones. The deputy general secretary at Britain’s Association of School and College Leaders said, “The current generation isn’t as good at reading the traditional clock face as older generations are.”

What is going on? I remember a few years back when a number of school systems were dropping the teaching of cursive from their curricula. The rationale was that people today don’t bother to write and mail handwritten letters. Instead, they sit behind their computers, at their laptops, or on their smartphones and type emails, send text messages, or post all kinds of, um, fascinating tidbits on Facebook or Twitter.

And yes, I admitted in my post earlier today, that my cursive is so illegible that I don’t handwrite letters anymore either. But does that mean we should abandon teaching cursive handwriting to our kids?

And now they’re talking about removing analog clocks from schools and ceasing to teach kids how to read them? Hey, I have an Apple Watch, but the watch face I use is an analog face. Because when I’m looking at my watch, it’s more often to tell what time it’s not than what time it is.

If teaching cursive and how to read analog clocks in school are wastes of time because people no longer write in longhand and because they use digital clocks, perhaps schools should stop teaching math, as well. Doesn’t just about everyone use calculators to add, subtract, divide, and multiply? Even smartphones have built-in calculators. And since everyone is so adept at using keyboards and computers, can’t we just teach students how to use Excel to perform a wide variety of sophisticated mathematical functions?  Who needs to learn math?

In fact, perhaps schools and teachers are obsolete. All anyone needs to know is how to Google. From there they can get answers to virtually any question, information about any topic, and even self-help, do-it-yourself instructions for just about any project.

And if they can’t find what they’re looking for on Google, they can always text someone.

9 thoughts on “It’s About Time

1. newepicauthor May 5, 2018 / 8:53 am

We have a big problem with the Education system in our country. Computer classes are used for students to play games, they don’t learn anything in these classes. I had so many High School students ask me what time it was, when there was a giant clock right in front of them.

2. pensitivity101 May 5, 2018 / 9:16 am

Progress? These young people are our future leaders. Worrying.
    As for watches and clocks? My parents’ clock stopped at exactly the time my grandfather died and didn’t start again for 24 hours.
    Digital watches? Can’t wear one. They gain on me. Seriously.

3. She May 5, 2018 / 9:30 am

A fair point. It may be a slippery slope. A number of young people I know cannot read analogue. They say they’ve never had to because they have always had a phone. These guys were 17 and 18. I was quite shocked so I stopped and taught them on the spot how to read clock faces right there and then. I don’t think my input went down very well😆😆

4. baddadcartoons101 May 5, 2018 / 9:41 am

This is a great post for an interesting conversation. I was an engineering student but had no clue how to use a slide rule but a clock is different! There are still millions of clocks hanging on walls and the concept of reading a clock utilized the knowledge of a circle divided by 360 degrees divided by 6 to get the 60 minutes in one revolution of the minute hand… well anyway, this fundamental knowledge is necessary for those who continue to major in the sciences and these people will hopefully keep providing useful things like IPhones for the masses.

• Fandango May 5, 2018 / 10:24 am

I can’t imagine being unable to see what time it is from an analog clock. The only equivalency I can make is when visiting a country, like Russia, Greece, or anywhere in Asia when you can’t read the words in the native language and feel totally illiterate.

5. Sight11 May 5, 2018 / 1:32 pm

I know how to read a clock. I’m surprised that the system can be so stupid, not to mention the students.

6. Marilyn Armstrong May 5, 2018 / 5:10 pm

When my granddaughter turned about 8 or 9 and I discovered she had no idea how to read a clock, i went and bought a couple of those wooden clocks they used in school to teach us? She learned in like 5 minutes. It isn’t hard to teach. They just don’t bother.

• Fandango May 5, 2018 / 6:26 pm

And that’s the shame of education these days.