One-Liner Wednesday — Freedom is Fragile

343DDAD5-8182-46D7-BEBB-FA7D81233D11“Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction.”

Ronald Reagan

Never in a million years did I think I’d ever be quoting Ronald Reagan, of all people. But now is the time for all of us to heed his prescient warning.

The unfortunate truth is that have reached the point in our country where, thanks to Donald Trump, the members of his cabinet, and the spineless Republicans in Congress, we are starting to lose our core freedoms in America.

Freedom of the press and of free speech. Freedom of — and from — religion. The freedom to live our lives based upon who we are, what we look like, what we believe. The freedom to make our own choices. The freedom to drink clean water and to breathe clean air. The freedom to vote no matter where we live or the color of our skin.

All of these freedoms that for so long we have taken for granted in our country have begun to erode over the past 18 months. Yet because of all the chaos, distractions, and diversions that are emblematic of the Trump administration, our diminishing freedoms have gone almost unnoticed by many.

Ronald Reagan’s quote continued, “We didn’t pass [freedom] to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.”

If we don’t do something soon to save our fragile freedoms, to fight for and protect them, we may not have many left to hand over to the next generation.

Written for today’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt from Linda G. Hill.

11 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Freedom is Fragile

• Fandango May 2, 2018 / 7:17 am

Yes. And, sadly, one that is more urgent today than when Reagan said it decades ago.

1. bikerchick57 May 2, 2018 / 3:50 am

I’m hoping mid-term elections will begin to change the course of what’s happening in Washington. And I think a young man from Parkland, Florida, is also going to continue to fight the cause for safety and freedom.

2. baddadcartoons101 May 2, 2018 / 9:45 am

Yes midterm elections! If republicans lose their majority, Washington grinds to an absolute halt… wouldn’t that be a yuge improvement!

3. Marilyn Armstrong May 2, 2018 / 10:46 am

I know you feel that way and sometimes, so do I. But I also think that this terrible couple of years has made me stronger in my beliefs that I was before. I’m more of a fighter for freedom that I was, although my body and I are not always on the same page about that 😀

It seems sometimes that all is lost, but I think if enough of us realize how much we have to lose and fight, fight, fight — perhaps that is what we really needed to do and this is what it took to get us moving again

• Fandango May 2, 2018 / 12:53 pm

I hope so, before it’s too late and all is, in fact, lost.

4. pranabaxom May 2, 2018 / 12:06 pm

I never thought I would appreciate Regan’s quote but this is so prophetic.

In another blog post I read today about a book ( children’s) “Silence killed the dinosaurs”. May be we are being killed by our silence.