FFfAW — State-of-the-Art

“I don’t believe it,” Frank said. “How does something like this happen? This ballpark is supposed to be state-of-the-art.”

“I’m pissed,” Donnie said. “You’d think they’d have a contingency plan for something like this.”

“Yeah, well maybe they’ll fix it and the game can continue,” Frank said.

“This is why I’m not a fan of these damn retractable roofs,” Donnie said. “They close the damn thing for the rain and then one lightning strike blows the transformer and they can’t get the damn thing open again.”

The PA system clicked on and a voice boomed from the speakers. “Ladies and gentlemen, as we announced earlier, the lightning strike disabled the ballpark’s retractable roof. Unfortunately, we are also unable to get the stadium’s ventilation system, including the overhead fans and air conditioning, working and the temperature on the field is increasing rapidly. Therefore, we are postponing today’s game. Keep you ticket stubs, which will be good for admission into the rescheduled game later in the season.”

“And they call this progress,” Frank groused.

(171 words)

Written for this week’s Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers from Priceless Joy. Photo credit: Yarnspinnerr.

17 thoughts on “FFfAW — State-of-the-Art

1. Priceless Joy May 1, 2018 / 9:37 am

Hahahahaha! Poor guys! They don’t get to see the game because of “progress.” Great story, loved it!

2. Sight11 May 1, 2018 / 4:38 pm

Well want to hang out with me and Jim over a baseball match?

3. rugby843 May 1, 2018 / 7:37 pm

I like this! There’s a lot to be said for older stadiums. I liked mile high stadium, but it went through many sponsors and changes.

• Fandango May 1, 2018 / 10:25 pm

I loved Fenway Park in Boston. And Wrigley Field in Chicago. Those are classic baseball parks.

• rugby843 May 1, 2018 / 10:36 pm

My son was in Boston when they were taking t he old seats down.

4. Varad May 2, 2018 / 12:23 am

Haha! One step forward, two steps back! All in the name of technology.

5. athling2001 May 2, 2018 / 9:47 am

I wonder about progress sometimes. A lot in fact. Seems like we do the one step up and two steps back dance.