T is for Tinnitus

EB8EB84F-8F26-47F0-9EB5-B47582469469I’ve posted about my tinnitus before on my blog, but since it is ever present, and, therefore, always making its presence felt inside my head, I thought I’d post about it once again for today’s A to Z Challenge.

I, along with nearly 36 million other Americans, suffer from a malady called tinnitus. Tinnitus is a ringing, swishing, buzzing, or other type of noise that seems to originate in the ear or head. My tinnitus is a 24/7 affliction; it never eases up for even a single second. It’s right there inside my head and it cannot be snuffed out or quieted.

I first noticed the ringing in my ears when I was about 40. At first, the sound was intermittent. It would come and go. But then, by the time I reached 50, this continuous, never-ending ringing in both ears became my constant companion.

Tinnitus can be quite annoying to those of us who suffer from it, especially since we are the only ones who can hear the sound. In most cases, the exact cause of tinnitus is never found. And worse, there is no known cure. The many doctors I’ve seen about it have all given me the same advice: learn to live with it.

And that means that I will never hear the sound of silence ever again.

11 thoughts on “T is for Tinnitus

1. Ruth April 23, 2018 / 6:27 am

My husband has tinnitis too, for him it developed after a really bad ear infection years ago, and has never gone away 😦

2. pensitivity101 April 23, 2018 / 7:29 am

We both have it, though at different pitches apparently. Hubby’s is a buzz, mine is a hum, and we hear things the other can’t. Ho hum.
    Most of the time, it doesn’t intrude too much, but at night when trying to get to sleep, it’s a real pain!

3. Sight11 April 23, 2018 / 5:38 pm

Is it just the devil who is telling you to stay anonymous?

4. baddadcartoons101 April 24, 2018 / 12:11 am

I’ve been lucky to not experience this but I grew up driving a very loud tractor and I think it didn’t help my hearing, if I heard better, I’d probably hear the ringing.

• Fandango April 24, 2018 / 6:40 am

Unfortunately, hearing well and tinnitus are unrelated, as hearing relates to external sounds detected though the ears, while tinnitus comes from within the brain. Thus, for those with tinnitus, the worse you’re hearing, the louder the tinnitus.

5. leigha66 April 24, 2018 / 12:56 pm

It seems wrong to “like” this post as I imagine this is quite annoying to live with. Does it drowned out external noise as well? Sad that the only things doctors say is live with it! Hang in there.

• Fandango April 24, 2018 / 1:26 pm

It doesn’t really drown out other external noises. But when it’s otherwise quiet, all that I can hear is the ringing in both ears.