Blue Crab Feast

FC5D1272-515B-4C0D-8F54-94FCC690591DIf you’ve ever lived anywhere near the Chesapeake Bay, you may have experienced the local delicacy of blue crabs. Oh yum!

The best way to eat these delicious crustaceans is to spread brown paper or newspaper pages across your table, offer each diner a simple, metal nutcracker and pick, and a wooden crab mallet.

95E17D5B-43BA-4C14-BFE0-0F71D2F2780B
You should also make sure that a roll of paper towels, as well as a pitcher (or two) of beer and paper cups, are within reach. Be sure to advise your guests to remove their rings and watches, and to roll up their sleeves.

And then dump a pile of freshly steamed and seasoned (preferably with Old Bay Seasoning) blue crabs on the table and have your crab feast.

E8A312A1-83BE-4596-8E14-DFC551592DA2It doesn’t get any better than this.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “mallet.”

24 thoughts on “Blue Crab Feast

1. baddadcartoons101 April 21, 2018 / 10:51 am

My favorite is a fresh Dungeness crab from Fisherman’s wharf… since it’s right around the corner form you, how often do you partake? I’m afraid if I lived there, I would be down there every week!🦀

2. newepicauthor April 21, 2018 / 10:58 am

Yummy! One day while walking around on Key Biscayne, I saw a whole bunch of blue crabs climbing up trees.

• cagedunn April 21, 2018 / 3:04 pm

They live in estuaries around mangrove swamps – in Australia. Big critters.

3. She April 21, 2018 / 3:26 pm

Wow, never had fresh crab requiring implements! Sounds interesting!

• Fandango April 21, 2018 / 3:51 pm

It’s fun and the backfin meat is delicious.

4. Fingers To Sky April 21, 2018 / 6:39 pm

I’m a Baltimore girl. A mallet and maybe a butter knife is what we use. Interesting I have never used a nut cracker or picks for our crabs. But a pitcher of beer is a must, as you said. Yum! Now I want crabs!

• Fandango April 21, 2018 / 7:30 pm

A butter knife? That’s a new one on me. But if you’re from Baltimore, I’ll yield to your expertise.