Pep Talk

John knocked on his boss’s door. “Excuse me, Al. Do you have a minute?”

“Sure,” Al responded. “Come on in and have a seat.”

John sat down in a chair across the desk from Al. “I’ll get right to the point, he said. “In my written review you wrote that I need to crank it to eleven. What did you mean by that?”

“John,” Al said. “It means that it’s time for you to turn up the volume.”

John looked confused. “Turn up the volume, sir?”

“You know what I mean, John,” Al responded. “It’s time to put the pedal to the metal.”

“The pedal to the metal?”

“John, you know what I’m saying,” Al said. “You need to give it 110 percent.”

“Are you suggesting I’m not doing all I can for this job?” John asked.

“I’m just saying that it’s better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission, John,” Al said. “It’s time for you to shoot for the moon, to sing like no one is listening.”

“I see,” said John.

“Good,” said Al, “because you know that you miss 100 percent of the shots that you don’t take. Son, you need to make hay while the sun shines. When opportunity knocks you need to answer the door.”

“Yes, I see what you’re getting at,” John said, trying hard not to roll his eyes.

“Good,” said Al. “Now go out there and make it rain, my boy.”

John went back to his cubicle and started drafting his resignation letter.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “crank.”

10 thoughts on “Pep Talk

1. baddadcartoons101 April 16, 2018 / 11:58 am

Poor John, if he thinks he can avoid managers like this by simply going to another company then he’s sadly mistaken. He needs to buckle up, stay in the ballgame and get down to business!

2. newepicauthor April 16, 2018 / 12:04 pm

I think that somebody should write a post about singing like no one is listening.

3. Susanne April 16, 2018 / 3:56 pm

I love this! Nice use of the prompt and making the reader – and poor John – cranky with all the cliches.

• Fandango April 16, 2018 / 4:31 pm

Thanks. Unfortunately those kinds of cliches and empty platitudes are all too common in the business world.

• Susanne April 16, 2018 / 4:39 pm

On a go forward basis I’d like to see them from a high level and drop a bomb on them.

4. Sight11 April 16, 2018 / 6:33 pm

So John is likely to be homeless. That’s sad. In this economy jobs are harder to come by.

5. Marilyn Armstrong April 17, 2018 / 7:34 pm

That many cliches in such a short message would have had me running for the door before he got finished. Yikes!

• Fandango April 17, 2018 / 10:25 pm

You need to look before you leap. 🤪