Is God Really Pro-Life?

img_1216I saw this bumper sticker above on a car the other day and it made me wonder how someone would know that God is pro-life.

Is this the same pro-life God who killed all the first born males in Egypt so that Pharaoh would “let His people go?”

Is this the same pro-life God who drowned all life on earth except for Noah and his family and the pairs of animals that gathered on Noah’s ark?

The same pro-life God who permitted the Nazis to exterminate more than six million living human beings (including, no doubt, pregnant women) during World War II? Who allowed hundreds of thousands of Japanese (including, no doubt, pregnant women) to die when the United States dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Who stands by twiddling His thumbs while Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad gasses his own people (including, no doubt, pregnant women)?

So where, exactly, do people get the idea that God is pro-life? From the Bible, you say? Oh really?

The God depicted in the Bible is the greatest mass murderer of all time. He killed millions of pregnant women and their fetuses in Noah’s flood. And what about the conquest of Canaan, the incineration of Sodom and Gomorrah, and in numerous other major slaughters described in the Bible? When the entire populations of towns are massacred as part of “God’s will,” you can be sure that pregnant women and their unborn children were among the victims.

Why did God, who allegedly loves the unborn and hates abortion, kill so many unborn children — as well as living children, adolescents, and adults — throughout biblical history? What makes anyone believe that God cares about unborn children?

The anti-abortion movement continues to declare that, in the name of God, abortion is murder. Do those opposing abortion on religious grounds know that the Bible does not consider a fetus to be a full human life or the killing of a fetus to be murder? The Bible requires the death penalty for 60 specified “criminal” violations, but abortion is not one of them.

In fact, nowhere in the Bible will you find any passage that describes a prohibition or penalty for a woman who chooses to terminate her pregnancy. Not a single verse. Yet many politicians and advocacy groups claim that their belief that abortion is murder originate in the Bible.

So where, then, is the evidence that God loves the unborn and disapproves of abortion?

Better yet, where is the evidence that God exists?

I realize that this post may piss some people off and I may even lose some followers as a result. But as Pharaoh said, “So let it be written, so let it be done.”

26 thoughts on “Is God Really Pro-Life?

1. Karyn April 15, 2018 / 10:34 am

Silly, silly Fandango.
    The “religious” people who claim to be God’s people do not read the Bible. They sit with like-minded people who get spoon-fed what their (paid) LEADER tells them all so they can feel good about themselves for being “Christians”.
    BTW: thanks for that Biblical synopsis. I have never really been interested enough in the “religious right” to actually look for myself. But…YOU ARE CORRECT.

2. Sight11 April 15, 2018 / 11:07 am

Although I believe, as I have said before, fetus to be a live human being; Still I believe a woman has a right to decide whether she wants to carry or not. After all it’s her own body.

3. Michael April 15, 2018 / 11:26 am

I’ve never taken much from the old testament as the religious right do simply because it is a God of vengeance depicted there and my view of God is more new testament, a God of love. But I think he allows us to practice choice not be oppressed by those who think it is their ‘god given’ right to control us by telling us what to think. Good post.

• Fandango April 15, 2018 / 12:17 pm

Old Testament or New, God is God. There is only one God, if I recall my Sunday school lessons correctly. And this New Testament God sure is letting an awful lot of terrible atrocities occur for a being that is supposed to be all about love.

• Richmond Road April 15, 2018 / 4:53 pm

Tough love, to be sure. And as for there being just one God …. well, that is open for debate. Last time I checked there seemed to be quite a few of them (Eros and Thor being personal favourites) and the bumper sticker may have been referring to the one who is pro-life (I think His name is Trevor). Admittedly, it would be more helpful if there was additional information, but that is the nature of bumper stickers. They tend to be light on information. And accuracy.

• Fandango April 15, 2018 / 7:54 pm

I’m kinda partial to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. As to the bumper sticker, I’m pretty sure they were referring to the god they consider to be the official God of the U.S. You know, the one we, according to our currency, trust in.

4. Richmond Road April 15, 2018 / 2:24 pm

OK …. so God may have made a few bad calls in regard to pregnant women in the past (He’s only human, after all. Or is He? I always get confused about that bit) but He might have changed His mind. It looks like a newish bumper sticker and may be part of an image makeover. What about the Syria thing, I hear you ask? Old habits die hard (and pregnant women surprisingly easily) and He said sorry. I think.

Anyway, He supports the same football team as me. So He must be OK.

• Fandango April 15, 2018 / 7:55 pm

But he also supports my favorite football team, too. At least when they win, that is.

• Richmond Road April 16, 2018 / 3:07 am

That is super weird. What happens when your football team plays my football team? Some sort of dead heat I suppose. And here’s another thing. Mine lost last weekend. What the fuck is going on? It’s like God doesn’t care anymore. I guess the Lord works in strange ways.
        Here in Australia God really used to love our cricket team. Then they got caught cheating (why did God let that happen? He really does take his eye off the ball sometimes) and since then it’s been all down hill. So He’s obviously really pissed off with them. Imagine what He would be like if they’d got some girl pregnant!!!! He’d probably have to smite a few of them. And her.
        So is it possible that the pregnant women killed by chemical weapons in Syria have been sleeping with the Australian cricket team?
        (and I apologise with all my heart if any of this sounds horribly trite in the face of tragedy. The fact is that nothing stirs me up as much as people passing on their own responsibilities to an imaginary scapegoat).

• Fandango April 16, 2018 / 6:52 am

“The fact is that nothing stirs me up as much as people passing on their own responsibilities to an imaginary scapegoat.” Amen, brother.

5. leigha66 April 17, 2018 / 8:47 am

This “loving” God does seem to have it out for several parts of humanity…. let people decide for themselves, especially in cases of rape. Great post Fandango!

6. TheRightWingDad June 3, 2018 / 5:09 am

You cannot blame the actions of men on god. God gave mankind free will and thats what makes us unique. Evil happens in this world but it is man made and we are not perfect.

7. Léa July 15, 2018 / 11:44 pm

“The tendency to claim God as an ally for our partisan value and ends is the source of all religious fanaticism.” – Reinhold Niebuhr

• Léa July 16, 2018 / 7:35 am

I have so many of them. After reading what is going on there, whichever part of the mess you are in, I try to revive myself by reading someone intelligent such as George Orwell, Noam Chomsky or my favorite Jonathan Swift. I have no doubt he would come up with another “Modest Proposal” for Trump and his cabal.

8. Léa July 16, 2018 / 12:29 am

The only person that has a right to make the decision is the one who is carrying that fetus. Unfortunately not enough of us see the contradiction of those claiming to be pro-life who are also the ones behind the death penalty and often backers of the NRA.
    Childhood should not be about the terror associated with thoughts of being slaughtered in school.

• Fandango July 16, 2018 / 7:33 am

The pro-life movement is pro-life only when that “life” is in the womb of a woman. Once that life is born into this world, it’s on its own and these pro-lifers couldn’t give two shits about what happens to that child.

• Léa July 16, 2018 / 7:37 am

You have that right. As a therapist and former Child Protection Worker, I could not agree more.