Getting Nowhere Fast

29B6ABEE-B013-4ED9-9966-AEDD67A0DFC4“You’re awfully fidgety,” the guy sitting in the chair next to me said.

I looked at my watch. “We’re getting nowhere fast,” I answered. “I’ve been sitting here for an hour waiting for my number to be called.”

“What’s your rush,” he asked.

“This is ridiculous,” I said.

“No,” he replied. “This is the Department of Motor Vehicles. Things move at a snail’s pace here.”

“I’ve got things I need to be doing,” I said. “I don’t have time to sit here and wait interminably, you know.”

The guy looked me over. “What do you do for a living?” he asked.

“I’m retired,” I answered.

“Retired?” he said. “Must be nice. So you’ve got someplace you’ve gotta be?”

“Yeah,” I said. “Any place but wasting my time here.”

“So why don’t you leave?”

“I need to get my driver’s license renewed before it expires in a few days and I can’t do it on the internet because I have to take the goddam written test and get my eyes tested.”

“Wow, it must suck to be you,” he said sarcastically.

I looked at him. “What do you mean by that?”

“I’ve been sitting here as long as you have and I’m taking unpaid time off from my job to be here,” he said. “Look around man. There are at least 200 people here waiting to renew licenses or register cars or take road tests or whatever other business they have with the DMV. Don’t you think we’re all in as much of a rush to get outta here as you are?”

“Look, pal,” I said. “I don’t care about other people. I just don’t like having to sit here and wait for my number to be called.”

“You know what they say, ‘patience is a virtue.’”

“Yeah, well I’m not feeling very virtuous today,” I said.

Just then a number was called and the guy I was talking with stood up and said, “That’s my number.” He then looked back at me and said, “Good things come to those who wait.”

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “rush.”

19 thoughts on “Getting Nowhere Fast

1. Ruth April 9, 2018 / 8:25 am

Ha ha ha – I watched the kids’ movie ‘Zootropolis’ with my youngest grandchildren a few months back and in it the DMV guy ‘Flash’ is actually a sloth, so he works at a genuine sloth’s pace – that little scene always makes me laugh so much 🙂

2. Suze April 9, 2018 / 8:43 am

I feel for ya. My last year in Texas I needed to renew my license..and five hours after entering the building I finally got to the front desk..and the lady closed her section for lunch! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

3. stoner on a rollercoaster April 9, 2018 / 8:47 am

Sorry i chuckled a little..
    I wasn’t feeling very virtuous at a highend hospital today either..crippled my brain cells.

And his laugh line.. how did you manage not replying to that…now that was something actually virtous.

• Covert Novelist April 9, 2018 / 11:48 am

I’m not sure what’s happening here. My posts are deteriorating lol. I’m coming up anaymous or phrases are simply changing. I think my seek top is having a jammer. I don’t get it. Hopefully others will understand I’m “Not myself ” ok quitti g while I’m ahead smirk smirk

4. baddadcartoons101 April 9, 2018 / 1:05 pm

When I was a med student many years ago I was walking through the local VA hospital ER waiting room. An older couple asked me if I was a doctor and I replied that I was a student. They told me that was fine, they said I would probably graduate before they actually would get to see a real doctor in the ER.

5. Sight11 April 9, 2018 / 4:40 pm

So apart from all the fantastic commentary above, how did it go?

6. leigha66 April 10, 2018 / 3:14 pm

I hate the wait at the DMV, but I am glad to hear all your studying paid off.