F is for Foghorns

5CA697E3-CDA5-4F21-89D8-9F95001A30B3I was originally going to title this post, “F is for Fake News,” when I read that 77% of Americans who participated in a Monmouth University poll said that traditional TV news networks and newspapers were involved in reporting “fake news.”

But then I decided, in the interest of controlling my blood pressure, I would post about something far less controversial: foghorns.

I live in San Francisco, which is located on a peninsula bounded on the west by the Pacific Ocean and on the north and east by the San Francisco Bay. My house is almost equidistant from the ocean and the bay — about three miles from each. At night, when I’m walking our dog, I can hear the haunting sounds of foghorns as ships pass through the Golden Gate.

img_1018The Golden Gate is a strait that connects the San Francisco Bay to the Pacific Ocean. It is defined by the headlands of the San Francisco Peninsula to the south and the Marin Peninsula to the north. Since 1937, the strait has been spanned by the Golden Gate Bridge.

img_1020The Golden Gate is often shrouded in fog, especially during the summer. Heat generated in California’s central valley causes air there to rise, creating a low pressure area that pulls in cool, moist air from over the Pacific Ocean. Because it’s the largest break in northern California’s coastal mountains, a dense, persistent stream of fog enters the bay from the strait. It’s hauntingly beautiful to hear the lonely blaring of the foghorns each night.

Below, you can see a mesmerizing time-lapse video of the fog rolling over the Golden Gate Bridge. (Note: there is no sound in this video clip.)

25 thoughts on “F is for Foghorns

1. drkottaway April 6, 2018 / 6:38 am

Wow, that time lapse is gorgeous! My sister lived in the Presidio years ago for a while, and worked there. Thank you for a lovely post!

• Fandango April 6, 2018 / 7:21 am

You’re welcome. The fog rolling in and engulfing the city is one of the unique, beautiful attributes of San Francisco.

2. Suze April 6, 2018 / 6:40 am

beautiful…I’d really hate to have to drive across that bridge in it though!

3. Kimberly April 6, 2018 / 6:53 am

Wow. Love this! I’ve never been to San Francisco, but its on my bucket list. Hope to get a look at this in person one day! Thanks for sharing!
    Kimberly
    Passing Down the Love A-Z

4. Karyn April 6, 2018 / 7:44 am

Interesting info. I like the video and noticed that the clouds don’t appear to move much so I’m wondering how long in real time it is; it seems to be the span of daylight.

• Fandango April 6, 2018 / 10:22 am

It depends. Sometimes they move very slowly. At other times, it’s rapid.

5. Angel April 6, 2018 / 9:24 am

Beautiful post, and a smile from me for a little piece of home. I just said to my husband a few minutes ago as we were walking around the Carolina Coast (which is gorgeous), that I think it’s hard when one has been raised in California to not constantly compare. And I love your line “It’s hauntingly beautiful to hear the lonely blaring of the foghorns each night.”

• Fandango April 6, 2018 / 10:36 am

Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed the memories of California. And yes, the Carolina coast is beautiful in it’s own right.

6. J-Dub April 6, 2018 / 3:15 pm

Awesome time lapse – mesmerizing is exactly right. And I felt tension leaving my body as I watched. I might play that video on repeat. Today quite frankly sucked until now.

• Fandango April 6, 2018 / 10:17 pm

Glad my post was able to make your day just a little bit better. I hope it continued to stay better.

• J-Dub April 7, 2018 / 6:57 am

It still sort of sucked but my attitude improved immensely. 😊

7. leigha66 April 7, 2018 / 4:22 pm

One of these days I would love to make it to the coast. This was beautiful…. love that video!